SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ceph_gw

Petty? Or do you 'get' this?

ceph
14 years ago

So, A__'s BM just had her second baby. You may or may not remember me posting about this last summer/fall when she got pregnant... Anyhow, she's still with the BF who she accidentally got pregnant with, and A__ seems happy to have a sister. So that's all well and good.

A__ asked DH to come in and see the baby. So he briefly did. He asked if I wanted to see the baby when we picked A__ up. I said no. He asked why. Then he proceeded to tell me that my answer was petty.

Here's my reply (with ellipses indicating replies or questions from DH):

"No. Well, if A__ really wants me to, I will, to not hurt his feelings, but I don't feel the need... ... I don't really like BM, and she's generally rude to me, I've never met her BF, plus who the h3ll am I to her to go see their baby... ... Remember when we renovated and she invited herself in to see it all, and spent the whole time telling me everything she didn't like? Well, that was only our house, and it p1ssed me off. So, what about when we have a baby, and I have set the status quo of going over, uninvited to see her baby. I don't want her to invite herself over to criticize everything, like she did with our renos. Her baby has nothing to do with me, and ours will have nothing to do with her, so unless A__ really really wants me to, I'd rather not set a precedent... ... No, I wouldn't make you tell her "no" if we had a baby and she asked, but I think she's less likely to if we keep our distance now."

So? Am I the only person on the planet who feels this way? Does someone here understand? Or am I being totally stupid and petty?

Comments (17)