SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
confusedgirlfriend

Confused about boyfriend & his daughter

ConfusedGirlfriend
11 years ago

Help, Please.

My boyfriend (supposedly fianc�) has a 26 year old daughter who still lives at home rent-free and does no chores. I moved in a year ago after his ex moved out (they didn�t really have a relationship for the last 12 years of their 25-year marriage & I�ve been told that the mom was abusive).

Long story short: the dad (my boyfriend) does not confront his daughter to save money and move out or to clean up her room (it�s a freaking mess and spills over into the common living areas � heaps of clothes, dirty dishes). She is so spoiled and most often seems like a 13-year old (her room is consistently a fire hazard). But he does nothing to address this issue. The house is more like a dumping ground or a hotel. She has a terrible boyfriend that isn�t allowed in our house but she does whatever she wants as she was never given any boundaries or ground rules.

He says he wants her to move out but makes it comfortable for her to stay. She�s an only child.

I�ve been so careful and compassionate about being a great girlfriend and stepmom-to-be, but I feel that emotionally there is no room in this house for me. Being a positive, supportive and encouraging role model for both of them doesn�t seem to work and I feel slighted and used.

She tried to break us up for the first 6 months I lived here, despite my nice meals and patient compassionate approach.

After a year, I just can�t take it anymore. I�ve wanted to have a family meeting with the three of us but that�s never happened. She flip-flops on what she wants to do, and he flip-flops between what he says he wants (her to move out) and what really happens (nothing).

The mess and my boyfriend not confronting his daughter makes me flip out. I was made to believe that he could talk to his daughter, but he always avoids it. He�s confronted her maybe twice since I�ve moved in. Even so, he doesn�t enforce anything. He�s waiting for her to be an adult without showing her how.

I have no one to talk to, and I can�t move out plus I�m unemployed and financially dependant on my boyfriend so moving out in a blaze of glory is not an option.

There should be an apology and a drastic change in behavior on their part but I�m normally the one who�s made to feel guilty and bend to the weird behavior.

Please help. I�m falling apart. Thanks.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996