SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blessedlife90

Child Support question

blessedlife90
10 years ago

Hey everyone, I have a question regarding child support. I understand that the laws very from state to state, but any answers would be much appreciated.

We live in the state of VA, and my SO pays $500/month to his ex wife for his son's child support. At the time that this amount was agreed upon, my SO was living with his parents (she got the house in the divorce) and he didnt have any living expenses. He also had a job where he was making pretty good money. Things have changed in the past year. He and I both moved into a house we are renting together, and he has switched jobs. He doesnt make the same amount of money or hours as he used to and he certainly has alot more expenses to pay. Wouldn't this be grounds enough for him to ask for his child support to be altered? $500 per month is almost 75% of a paycheck, and he only gets paid every 2 weeks.

Furthermore, this is the 1st year the custody schedule is changing for the summer while his son is not in school. Instead of having his son every weekend like we do during the school year, we will have him every other week during the summer. Which we are super excited for, BUT the child support amount doesn't change even though she will be caring for him HALF the time she usually does. And he is still expected to pay for child care, food, and other related expenses while he is with us. My SO just does not have that kind of money. He was BARELY scraping by before the summer schedule came about, and now I just don't know how he is going to swing it unless something changes.

This situation is 100% my SO's fault because he really did this to himself. He didn't want to keep paying lawyer fees during the custody battle, and he was feeling completely defeted and drained by the loooooong, vendictive process so he told his EX to just come up with an agreement and he would sign it. He didnt even read the contract all the way through. He just signed it and "let her win" because he figured it would be easier on everyone (including his son) to finally have some peace and sanity. So now he is in a pickle financially and it could possibly effect his ability to pay his portion of our rent... which effects ME big time.

I know this isn't MY problem, and that he needs to figure it out on his own. And I plan on staying out of it, as I always have when it comes to his ex. I just wanted to hear some opinions from everyone on if he has any leg to stand on, or if this contract is set in stone. Please, any advice is helpful.

And I would appreciate no "bad dad" comments. Although what he did was STUPID, he really thought in his mind that he was doing the "right thing". His heart was in the right place.

Comments (10)