SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hthr_gw

unexpectedly becoming a full time step parent

hthr
14 years ago

I was just wondering if anyone else has words of wisdom for me, I feel in a real panic and don't know what to do/how to deal with it. I have been with my boyfriend for 2 years, he has a 13 year old daughter who has lived with her mum and he has had her every other weekend, sometimes more often. We bought a house and moved in together for the first time 6 weeks ago and a week later his ex partner was taken v ill and has been in hospital since. It seems that she will not be able to look after her daughter again. Therefore of course she will have to live with us. I guess I knew this might happen one day but it is not what I want for my life, I know that sounds selfish perhaps, but I like her, get on with her but I don't want to be a step mother. I am 38 with no children of my own. I am trying all sorts of things, counselling etc and trying to get my partner to support me in trying to make a home for all 3 of us, despite it not being what I want, and I feel he is not supporting me. He won't see that we need any time to ourselves at all. I hope that my feelings will change and it will be ok eventually - has anyone been in this situation and how has it turned out? Thanks.

Comments (9)