SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darfawnda

Differences in parenting styles-do I have the right to complain?

darfawnda
13 years ago

I love my fiance and have a good relationship with his 7 year old daughter, but I wonder sometimes about his parenting judgement when it comes to SD keeping herself entertained. He was raised playing video games, watching tv (had a tv in his room) and playing on the computer. He feels it has been an asset to his life since he now works as a web developer. I on the other hand was raised with limited tv privileges and no cable tv. I played sports, with dolls, and did card games and puzzles with my family.

Today (as is typical on the weekends), SD spent pretty much the entire day on the couch in front of the only tv we have. She watches shows and plays on the wii. I mentioned to my fiance that I think the tv time is excessive and I worry about it with summer break coming up so soon. He responded that since he was feeling a bit sick and sleeping much of the day (on the couch also) that she didn't have anything else to keep her occupied (apparently he thinks it is his sole responsibility to entertain her). I reminded him that she has an entire room full of toys she almost never plays with since she spends 90% of her time at our house hanging out in the living room.

I am primarily concerned with the tv issue because I think SD lacks imagination and has very little ability to play by herself or have any amount of alone time without immediately getting bored. I also think she needs to be doing more active things since this is setting her up for a sedentary lifestyle. At the same time, I don't think fiance and I should be responsible for entertaining her constantly just because she is an only child - she's old enough to play on her own imho. Finally, my selfish reason for the tv thing is that she takes over the tv which means we can't use the living room for other things (like when I want to sit and read a book and drink some coffee in the morning). It sort of adds to the childhood view that life revolves around them since she is controlling the main room of the house for hours on end.

Our parenting style with his daughter has been a very cooperative one and I have made a number of suggestions that we have implemented (like starting a weekly chore list and making sure there are fruits/veggies at every meal). Is this something that I just should leave alone since he is ok with it and I don't see him ever thinking "tv turns your brain to mush" like I do? It's just one of those things I would NEVER let my own kid do so it drives me crazy that I can't tell her "time's up for the day" and ask her to do something else. I feel like if I don't make some progress here it's going to eat away at me since I feel so strongly that it is a horrible habit for a kid to have and will probably only get worse as she gets older.

Suggestions on websites with good craft/game ideas for the summer would also be greatly appreciated since I know I'm going to loose it if she spends most of her weeks with us plopped on the couch. Oh, and to clarify, SD is with us every other week, so I deal with this quite frequently. Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions. I'm getting to my wits end.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor