SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hamiltongardener

Stepson advice

hamiltongardener
12 years ago

Bit of background for you.

I have DS-15 years old, SS-15 years old, and SD-12 years old. DS and SS live with us, SD lives with her mom.

DS and SS are in the same grade, go to the same school and DS tells me stories about what is happening at school.

Apparently SS is not getting along well with other kids. No real friends and admittedly, he is quite socially awkward. It sounds like the kids at school shun him quite a bit, find him weird.

The disturbing aspect of this is that they have started calling him "Columbine Boy" or "kid voted most likely to go Columbine". The story is that it stems from him sitting in the hallway glowering at everyone who walks by. Sometimes he mutters under his breath too. I don't know if he's aware of the other kids' nickname for him or not.

My first issue is whether to tell his father about the social awkwardness. I see it, but like any loving father, he sees his son as a well rounded and well liked individual.

My second issue is whether or not there is really anything that can be done. You can't force a kid to become more likeable or to become an extrovert rather than an introvert, right?

Comments (28)