SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweeby

Happy Graduation Day -- The High Road Worked

sweeby
14 years ago

Well, as I mentioned on another thread (which I don't want to derail now), today was older DS's high school graduation. Earlier in the week, I asked him if I could take him out to lunch afterward, but he told me his dad had already asked and made plans. So I took a deep breath, bit the bullet, and called my Ex and asked if we could all participate so both sides of DS's family could celebrate with him. And Ex graciously agreed --

Well, the ceremony went off without a hitch. I was thrilled to find out that the very nice girl who asked DS to the big Junior dance (and with whom he remains close friends) turned out to be the valedictorian, and that the girl he invited to the Senior Prom was the salutatarian. I knew his friends were smart, but wow. (No wonder he feels inferior at times...)

Then photos - DS with each side of the family, and one with DS and both bio-parents (at StepMom's suggestion) and off to lunch. Ex had asked if my younger DS (autistic, 13 y.o.) "would be OK at" a fancy restaurant (a little patronizing, but given he has barely even seen my younger son...), and as usual, younger DS's manners were impecible, even during the monotonous parts of the graduation ceremony.

Actually, everyone behaved beautifully, which is what made the afternoon so enjoyable. And, after all was said and done, we were all able to relax and laugh and talk, and a great time was had by all. And looking back on it, I'm glad we all took the high road and none of us ended up missing out on parts of this important day.

Comments (9)