Return to the Stepfamily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stepgrandkids

Posted by lamom (My Page) on
Sat, May 8, 10 at 20:39

My stepgrandkids, children of SS30, 9 and 3 have spent most of the day at my house. As I posted in another thread, I refused to babysit them although I have spoken, given them cookies and interacted with them as what they are, DS7 and DH's guests.

DS7 really likes them and they like him. Sigh. If only they came without the baggage of their parents, aunt, grandmother etc. and of course, my baggage, I would have them right in the playdate rotation. But they do have that baggage which is really heavy adult baggage.

Since I set that boundary, I've noticed how much calmer they seem today. Maybe because I am very much NOT in charge of them today, maybe because they sense my detachment, there is a big difference in behavior. Maybe because they know their grandfather, DH is large and in charge. Whatever the reason, I see the difference. Maybe DH finally stepped up with them at long last. Doesn't matter because it is only for today, I think.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stepgrandkids

Interesting. You took yourself out of the "authority" position and everyone is calmer. I think this is brilliant. Good for you for stepping back and having DH handle the kids. It must feel great not to have to manage the behaviors!!

(and I hope you're WRONG :) and it lasts longer than one day)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stepfamily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here