Return to the Stepfamily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I found a HOUSE!!

Posted by myfampg (My Page) on
Mon, May 23, 11 at 20:38

Who would have thought it would be that easy!?!?

We are going to look at it tomorrow. It's bigger than the townhome but cheaper!! And it comes with all appliances so we won't have to buy a fridge yet.

It's 57 miles from BD and 23 miles from work. Hee hee. Love it. So excited. AND the school reviews for dd are wonderful. Compareable to her school now. She won't have to go to jr high until 7th grade!! Yay!

Just so excited. A wonderful day to add to all my drama. I can see the light.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I found a HOUSE!!

SO happy for you Myfam.

o

good luck, hope it is a nice home for you! 23 miles from work is nto bad

o

That's great; I hope it's beautiful!

I don't know if it would work in your area, but my little house-hunting tip is to use Google Street View - and then I can "roam the neighborhood". Before DH and I moved in, a few times we saw houses which looked lovely in the pictures, but then would turn out to be 1/8 mile away from an industrial park or highway or something that we didn't want. With this house, we "walked" to the playground, the coffee shop, and past all of the big old Victorian houses - and knew it was the sort of neighborhood we wanted.

o

I did what you said Mattie and that was a great idea. We also decided that we are going to drive by during the day and in the evening to see how things go in the neighborhood. Right now we can't let the kids ride their bikes because there is too much traffic and no side walks. We have to drive to the park to ride.. This little house is on a cul-de-sac and they have side walks. I'm so excited. I hope it works out!!

And the schools are highly rated. I haven't had much luck finding a daycare for ds but I'm going to go look at a few. I'm nervous but I think this is going to be the best thing for us.

o

Congrats myfampg!

lol, I should have used the google street view when I went to look at houses for my son. I plugged an address into my GPS & it took me into a neighborhood... or maybe it was just the HOOD. My son said, mom please don't stop... keep going! but I stopped to put the next address into the GPS & ended up in the middle of a drug deal... we drove off & past a prostitute... no way! lmao

o

i think you can find a lot of info on the area and neighborhood if you read school reports for the school district. it would tell you every statistics you need. you can also stop by board of education pick up their annual report/calendar and it would tell you everything you need to know about the area and even your subdivision.

o

Myfampg, that sounds great! It's so great to live somewhere with sidewalks, and a cul-de-sac is better yet. I hope it works out.

Ima, that's too funny! You misunderstood the part in the ad that said the neighborhood was "filled with up-and-coming entrepeneurs", LOL!

My brother uses Google Earth when looking for vacation rentals. You never know whether the pictures on the rental web site were taken from the only angle which blocks the giant house next door or whatever.

o

Awesome news!

o

I agree with Parent of One, check school district. A home next to the freeway in a good school district will stilll have good neigborss

o

I'm confused kkny what does a freeway have to do with neighbors? Are you possibly talking about my comment that we have too much traffic where we are now?

o

AWESOME! My friend is in the process of buying her first home and she is having so many problems- she put a bid up 2 months ago and there has been so many problems closing - yabber i dont understand because of course we do not own a home and i havent been through that. But how exciting!! hope all inspections go well for you!!

o

Ooh I'm not buying!! Lol we are just renting but right now we rent a town home and our neighbors are too close for comfort PLUS we don't have the 'home' luxuries. We can't buy a house until we pay back my parents and pay off our credit cards from the $35k attorney fees and God knows how much more we owe after last week.

Does anyone know how to collect on attorneys fees when they are awarded in court. It states its a judgement. Wondering how to collect from my ex... If I ever get to collect.

o

I'm not an attorney so this is not legal advice, but if I had a Judgment, I would file a writ of execution and levy the bank account or attach property, such as a car or truck. If the person worked, I would serve an earnings withholding order on their employer and/or any income they receive. (of course government money is harder to intercept.. such as taxes, unemployment or disability. I know DCSS can get those for child support though) and if they were the kind to own property, I would file a lien with the county where they live so when they go to sell the property, they would have to pay the lien first.

LOL, I had a thought that if the Judge in my case against BM gave me a money judment, the first thing I would do is get a writ & have the sheriff go there to take her computer. I'm in CA so the things my lawyer said I could take include her dogs... she breeds them so they are "property", not pets. (remember, she would take her dogs to the vet but wouldn't take SD to the doctor that same day?)

o

No, just a general comment re house.

o

Lol! Take the computer so she can't spread her venom any more! Priceless.

I will look in to it. My attorney did tell me that I can go in and get the bank account and he would show me how to do it so it's legal and no problems. In my state, wages cannot be garnished for debts or judgements other than child support or taxes.
The property he 'lives' in is owned by his wife and was her property before they married. Also in my state, property is not community if it was owned before the marriage, which is why I don't have a 'home'. Since he bought it in 'his' name before we were married, not before we were engaged or lived together but married, I couldn't even touch the house. Of course he sold it and moved in with new wife and that's 'her' house. So no luck there but I watched the property appraisal website to see if his name ever ends up on the land/house but so far nothing. Now his medical bills that he owes will be coming in on the child support. They added it to his monthly payment and that is how I will be reimbursed for 5 yrs of medical expenses. At least that is something.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stepfamily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here