SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onepoint21jw

Reunite with 'Stepdad' or not?

onepoint21jw
13 years ago

Hello, Im looking for some advice with this situation, I cannot get my head around it fully, I hope this is an ok spot to ask for advice on this topic.

I will try to keep this as short as I can.

My real Dad and my Mom split up when I was 2-3, he went on to marry 4 more times and was an alcoholic his whole life, I knew him pretty well and we got along good, I lived with him for a year in the 7th grade, and he bought me my first dirt bike. His health faded and he passed away in 2006 and though he was not the perfect Dad I miss him very much.

I think when I was about 5 my Mom met a man named "John", they moved in together and with my sister(5 yrs older) we became a "family", over the years he became my Dad and we did things like fishing, boating, family trips, many memories.

When I was about 15 or 16 he and my Mother began to have some problems I think, which led to her getting pushed down and having a small bone in her wrist broken(he was trying to leave and she was trying to stop him is the story.. no charges filed). I learned later that he had cheated on her and Im sure that is what the "big fight" was about.. I heard them fighting from my room, and the next day she picked me up from school with a cast on her wrist.. I never saw John again.

Since his Father owned the house we lived in and the relationship was over we needed to move out, we moved out a few weeks after the fight and even though it was a small town I never saw John again. My life changed for the worse at that point, for a few years I got bad grades, hung out with the wrong crowd etc, which thankfully I was smart enough to end on my own.

I moved away from that state in 1996 and as I grew older I thought of him often, he had a big influence on me and the way I lead my life, my role as a parent, the way I treat my kids, wife etc. My Mother has never remarried and there has never be another male figure in my life.

I turn 36 this month, and last week John contacted me through Facebook, it has been 20 years since he vanished from my life.

Should I respond? What would I say? if I really think about it I am somehwat angry, and dont have much reason to communicate with him, maybe send him a nasty message. Some of me would expect some sort of explanation or something if I "accept" him again.. my mind tells me to forget it about it and just move on and what he did was wrong and I shouldnt give him the light of day. What could happen after I accept him? Should I expect an explanation, his side of the story maybe?

I mean do I send this guy pictures of my kids and treat him like a Grandpa, and tell them about John? Or is that crazy talk??

Its been on my mind alot and I cannot decide what to do.

Is a child bound to their Step parents like they are to their real parents, does this man deserve that respect like a real Father? The whole thing raises many questions for me and few answers.

Sorry for the length of this, thank you in advance to those who can offer any advice.

W.

Comments (41)