SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom23step23

Stepmom not invited to stepson's Phd graduation

mom23step23
14 years ago

My SK29 is out at Stanford working on his Phd in Genetics, and we knew that he would be graduating either this spring or around Christmas time. His father told him, in January, that we would like to fly out to see him graduate, (about 1300 miles away), and to please let us know as soon as he knew when the graduation would be (the graduation depends on lab experiments, and work accomplished in the lab, etc).

My DH also has been tired of only hearing from his kids when they want money or need something fixed, so he has backed off from his relationship with them. He has contacted each of them, but the ball is clearly in their court now, and he has been waiting for the ball to come back. (This is the SK29 who we bought a 4 day cruise for he and his wife, and we are still waiting for a thank you. I think I wrote about it in an earlier post about entitled stepchildren).

I just got the mail today, and there is an invitation to SK29's graduation on June 13 from Stanford. The invitation was addressed to only his father! June 13 is my weekend to work (I'm an RN and work EOW, there is no way that I can get out of work). Also, SK29 must have known about this for a least a few months. He is giving us less than 2 weeks to try to get our work schedules arranged to have time to fly out, (we'd probably have to fly out June 11) and not to mention even the fact that it is too late to get any hope of reduced airflights with such short notice!

I am insulted that the invitation is only to his father. My husband has no desire to spend his precious vacation time away from me because his kids act rudely and leave me out. My husband and I have been talking about going out to San Francisco for the graduation and also doing some other things too while we are out there. We didn't think it would be until fall sometime though, since we haven't heard anything from his son.

The last time that any communication was between SK29 and us was on January 29 when I emailed SK29 and his wife telling them that we had dropped a check for $1000 in the mail for them for their cruise, and to please let us know that they received it OK. We still haven't heard from them.

I think that SK29 wants his father to be there. I just think that he assumes that Daddy is money bags, and it doesn't matter what he has to pay for an airflight, or what kind of hoops he has to jump through at work to try to get time off on such short notice. DH's kids all know that he has to pay 38% of his income to his ex, yet they don't seem to care if their carelessness costs him more money!

I'm angry and hurt. If all you want to do is rip me apart, keep those comments to yourself please. I come here for support.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm