SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cosmicsong8

How to handle mean-spirited child

cosmicsong8
16 years ago

I posted here before saying my boyfriend has a five year old who has been smart-mouthed and sometimes violent with me. My boyfriend and I are very serious about being in this relationship for the long haul. However, his five year old son's mother feeds the child a lot of negative ideas about his father's relationship with me, because she hasn't accepted that her ex-husband has moved on. Anyway, this child is very loyal to his mother, so he has not fully accepted me. And he sees me I think as the barrier to his parents getting back together. I talked to my boyfriend as you suggested in my last post and he does understand better now what his son is doing, but he blames the birth mother. He doesn't always hold his son accountable for his own actions, although he's getting better at spotting it and correcting his son. To be honest, I just simply do not like this child and I'm trying to figure out how to handle his smart comments without stooping to his level. After all, he's only 5! A friend of mine told me there's nothing more effective than just plain ignoring him. I'm wondering if anybody here has tried anything else. Just looking for some ideas. I find myself not looking forward to going home the nights I know he's going to be there. It's not a comfortable situation for me anymore. We have him 3 days a week. Fun fun fun!

Comments (15)