SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xericgarden

dealing with adult children and step children

xericgarden
14 years ago

So- I have a little different problem than most blended families. My husband and I have been married for almost 8 years. He was single for a long time before I came into the picture. Consequently, his children welcomed me into their father's life with open arms. They remember me on my birthday, holidays and mother's day. Their children call me grandma.

On the other hand, my children have bought into the poison that my EX has fed them and treat my husband (and myself) poorly. They only call or come by if they need something from us. They seldom remember me on birthdays or holidays... and NEVER remember my husband. As a result, my husband does not enjoy being around most of my children very much... and neither do I quite frankly. All of the kids are married and on their own. I feel somewhat torn about trying to smooth things over between all of us... but after 8 years, I don't see that this is likely to happen. So I've decided to take trips with my husband over mother's day and holidays to save myself the heartbreak of not hearing from my children. Am I wrong to simply put myself and my husband ahead of the kids now?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus