SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmandersonfinch

left out again - don't want to attend half-brother's wedding

jmandersonfinch
14 years ago

I am 33, and the oldest of three siblings. My brothers are 24 and 19 (both half-brothers from my Mom and Step-Dad). My youngest brother is getting married next Friday and my other brother will be his best man in the wedding. In my 24-yr old brother's wedding, they did not have bridesmaids or groomsmen, although he did have the youngest brother as a host, as did my SIL's two brothers. Again, I was not included in any of the wedding whatsoever except as a guest. Even the slideshow they did excluded me... it included several pics w/ my baby bro and several with my SILs brothers, but I was the only family member left out. By the end of the slide show, I could hardly hold back my tears, and then at the reception (church punch/cake type), an old lady asked someone near me who I was and said "I didn't realize (Nick) had a sister". I abruptly grabbed my kids and hubby and left before I broke down in tears in front of everyone there.

Although I'm 9 & 15 yrs apart from the boys, we still grew up together and I have never thought of them as anything less than simply my brothers. But since I was 18, I have been isolated from them. My parents include both the boys in all their vacations and most activities, although I'm rarely if ever invited. They even started excluding me from their 'family' Christmas with the Big Tree upstairs, since I have kids - supposedly, and have made me do Christmas with them in the downstairs entertainment area with my aunt and her kids - after and separate from their Christmas (although both of my SILs have attended theirs since they first dated my brothers). I just only found out about the Best man situation the other day and childishly sent my little bro a text to see if he'd even care if I wasn't able to attend, to which he basically replied "do what makes you comfortable, fiance and he don't care as their too busy making preparations. My aunt and best friend insist I should go, but I REALLY don't want to. My mom had a fit when I mentioned it all to her and got really defensive, as she facilitates the separation. What would you do??

Comments (13)