Return to the Stepfamily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tragic story close to home (sens. topic)

Posted by lovehadley (My Page) on
Sat, May 23, 09 at 14:11

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=176059&catid=3

This little girl went to where I went to secondary school. (The school starts in JK and goes through 12th grade. I attended 7th-12th.) A friend of mine brought this to my attention last night, as she has a SKer and 2nd grader at the school.

Anyway, the home where this tragedy happened is only a few blocks from my mom's house.

It just really makes you realize how FAST something terrible can happen.

Hug your kids a bit tighter tonight, and with summer upon us, and thus more trips to the pool, let's all remember to be as vigilant as possible. It truly only takes a second. :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tragic story close to home (sens. topic)

Thanks for posting, love, it's a sad & sobering reminder.

Here is a link that might be useful: news story

o

I went to the link and its been moved or deleted....so what happened???

o

An 8 year old girl drowned in a backyard pool at a party :(

o

omg..:(

o

I have never understood the unsupervised children within 10000 yards of water. I almost drownd when I was 15! We too were at a party and mom assumed of all the adults there that surely someone (most likely the owners of the pool) could swim. Well, they couldn't. I was toting my younger brother on my shoulders and slipped down into the deep end. The shallow end was abnormally small. I was used to it being half and half....this pool was not.

I had my brother on my shoulders (he couldn't swim at all) and his head was above water. I didn't throw him off because I knew he would drown. Instead I waited to be rescued. I remember hearing the screams while I prayed. I passed out before anyone came. My mom who was a very weak swimmer jumped in and pushed us back into the shallow end. She thought I was dead. I was under water for a little over two minutes and no one there thought there was any possible way I could be alive. The main concern was saving my little brother. My brother almost drowned my mom with his panicking.

From that day on my mom would not let us attend pool parties AT ALL unless my dad could go. If we spent the night at a friends her first question was always "Do you have a pool?" She will tell you that that was one of the worst and most scary moments of her entire life.

It's such a tragedy that this little girl didn't get as lucky as me:(

o
I just wanted

To clarify...I realize the child in this case was supervised. When I said unsupervised I meant the maney peole who just turn their kids lose around pools.

At the old apartment we saw it all the time. Three year olds running around the pool while the parent chatted with a neighbor 50 feet away. It made me a nervous wreck!!!!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stepfamily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here