SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silversword_gw

Kids & Food

silversword
12 years ago

I didn't want to hijack Mrs. P's thread but the whole food issue was niggling at me.

My DD will eat and will say she is hungry 99% of the day. When she was on her way back from her dad's house this last time he called me and said she'll be hungry. He got her a sandwich before the plane, but she didn't want to eat it and then she slept through the meal on the plane. So yes, she was hungry.

But a *real* hungry kid would have eaten the sandwich. IYKWIM.

Sometimes, even though bedtime is 7:30 at our house... she doesn't get to bed until 9pm. Sometimes we don't have dinner until very late. When DD came back her schedule was all messed up because she stayed up until midnight playing video games with her dad.......

She also had two splinters, a bruise, chipped toenail polish and uncut nails, unbrushed teeth (not hideously so, but I could tell it hadn't happened that day ;), was peeling on her shoulders, and had a bloody nose.

But, she was otherwise healthy and was wearing clean clothes and hair. I took those things to mean she had a good time and I am not going to nitpick the small stuff. I took her out to In N Out and she ate a whole cheeseburger, fries, two glasses of water and a milkshake. At 10:30pm.

Of course, if you suspect your child is not having the basics taken care of it is a different issue.

If a kid or adult misses a meal, it's actually good for them if it's not a constant. Give the kid a piece of bread and a hunk of cheese to tide them over until morning and start fresh. My DD comes home with new clothes and shoes all the time, and I know she's fed, but if I wanted to claim neglect I probably could drum up some complaints.

I don't know what my point was particularly. I guess just that a lot of time we do the best we can and kids will be subjected to situations we don't prefer but probably in the long run are not harmful to them.

Comments (11)