SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mattie_gt

Is it a visit or is it going home?

mattie_gt
13 years ago

I was thinking about something I'd posted and was wondering how everyone else handles when their kids/skids are with them, as to whether it's more of a "visit" and a lot of time is spent with them doing special things, or whether it's viewed as being at home and so everything is as normal.

Since SS sees BM so infrequently he tends to view it as a "visit" and would be perfectly happy if all 48 hours were devoted to him; in his mind I think it's like when he goes to visit grand-parents. In addition he doesn't have his own room and, apparently due to space constraints, has one toy up there, and no clothes. So I can understand why he would feel that he's a visitor in that situation. And when I was a kid, I'd feel very frustrated when my brothers and I spent most of the summers at my father's; we too had very little room and very few things to occupy our time. BD and SM would be gone at work all day and we used to be horribly bored (we'd amuse ourselves by bickering with each other, of course!)

And obviously, for someone who has anything close to 50-50 custody, the kids are "home" at both houses, and working, laundry, cleaning, etc. still have to be done so neither parent would (or should) have every single minute of the day revolving around the non-stop pleasure of the kids.

I was wondering what happens when it is more EOW custody or something like that. Do people tend to do something special one night and just have normal family life the rest of the time, or what? I'm just curious.

Comments (4)