SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kev111

Stepson Money Issues

kev111
12 years ago

Hello all. I had posted here a while back regarding my stepson, and it was nice to get a ton of answers and support. I've lurked for a few years after, but now I'd like to once again seek some thoughts from this forum.

I'll try to present as objectively as possible, and I do encourage objective responses too - I am fine if I'm told I'm totally wrong.

Quick setup - Married my wife 10 years ago and have been in her life for nearly 12. She has a son who was 8 when we met and is now 20. He lives at home and is eeking his way through community college, and with us we have our 9 year old daughter and 7 year old son. Stepson's father lives fairly close by and is involved - though stepson has been avoiding his father a great deal for the past few years.

The first time I wrote it was regarding my wife and how we constantly disagreed about rules and how to handle the then 17-year-old. The basic idea was that I was for clearer and firmer rules than my wife, and when she perceived that I was too harsh she would defend her cub very vociferously.

I find myself again at odds with my wife regarding my stepson, and at this stage it's about money. It's been pretty harsh at times, so I hope I can hear from objective 3rd parties.

My wife and stepson came to me actually in debt, but things are well enough with me that I was able to clear those when we got married and my wife was able to be a 'stay-at-home' mom for my stepson and our own two children that came along.

My stepson's biological father has paid child support the entire time (until stepson turns 21 in July). In order to avoid the angst from all involved, we put all of the child support money into a 529K account geared for my SS's education, and we even had his father directly deposit into that named account so there would be no question about where his money was going. We have stopped funding that lately since there is now enough for the community college and because that account can only be for education. We set up an online ING account for that money to presumably use for other 'support' things that come up (help fixing car if needed, etc).

So how has all of this money been put to use? He went to his first college after high school and unfortunately failed about 2 out of every 4-5 classes he took. He's not lacking in intelligence, he just literally did not hand things in or in some cases did not show up enough for the class. After four semesters he finally failed out, and we tried things at the community college. He failed some things there too, and thus it seems he will fail out of that community college. After 6 semesters and three classes over summers he will have 35 credits - if he had passed them all he'd have about 70.

He still has enough in his education account to get through a few semesters somewhere else - about 14K - but I'm not sure of the utility here. I understand at 60 credits he would have some options open up like the police academy, which is what he'd like (his father is a state trooper), but I'm not sure it wouldn't take another 3 years and two more colleges before he got there. By the time he turns 21 in two months he'll also have about $8K in the ING account.

What else is this child support money covering? Car repairs on the car we bought him when he started college. We also have used it for lawyers fees and fines from when he got in trouble with pot at 15, with pot at 18, and some traffic stuff at 20. He also used some of it to buy himself a large, flat screen LED TV.

That's really about it. We pay for his clothes, food, gas, entertainment, insurance, cell phone, etc. I should mention here that he has never held a job. He worked for half a summer washing dishes at a local deli when he was 18, but that was for a month and a half and maybe 3-4 days a week. He is trying to get one this summer, so we'll see how that turns out.

So this debate centers around this child support 'font' of money and how it should be dealt with. He has had a credit card since 18 that he is supposed to use for things like clothes when needed and for emergencies. Every month it has been over $600, and most of it is pizza, fast food, iTunes, gas, and the grocery store (where he uses it to buy cigarettes). I would like to use the child support money for these items. My wife wants to keep all of the child support money intact (barring the car fix or education) and designate it as "his money". She would then give all of the money left over to him in a lump sum when he's done with school. Any money in the education account can be passed to the younger kids' accounts and the cash given to him for that.

When I suggest using the child support money to pay for things he is putting on the credit card my wife accuses me of trying to take money that does not belong to me. My argument back is that if we continue to pay for this 20-year-old to entertain himself whenever he would like he will never understand the value of money and how to prioritize and save. Also, with everything either paid for by us or by the child support font, what incentive is there for him to ever get a job?

I put the offer out to give him every single cent of the child support now but then he will have to pay for EVERYTHING including his car insurance (not cheap in NJ), cell phone, food, clothes, etc and in six months he'd be required to pay rent. I was told that I was being too harsh with that and that I would never do that to either of my biological children.

Am I too harsh here? I would like to think that if one of my biological children were 20 and never had a job and was still out all night buying themselves pizza, cigarettes, and God knows what else that I'd put the hammer down. In fact, I'd like to think that the hammer would have fallen a lot sooner...

But still, how should I consider this child support money? I keep thinking that if this money is all his then why do I not get a say in cutting off the stupid stuff on the credit card? What do you all think of giving all of the money NOT used for education back to the child to use as he sees fit?

For the sake of trying to shorten an already too long intro I'll end here. If there are additional details you'd like to know to help you form your opinions just let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (68)

• sweeby
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

"The child support money is "HIS" and to use it for those items mentioned above is considered stealing it from him. "

Oh -- So it's his allowance.
    Yeah. That makes sense...

• silversword
    12 years ago

My mom told me I can live in her house after high school but I have to follow her rules. Period.

Every thing is contingent. Room and board are only provided for free if one is able to obtain a certain GPA. If I don't maintain and it's because I'm slacking, I can get a job and pay a certain amount. Regardless, I'm expected to contribute to the household. That means chores, cooking, etc.

He's an adult in your house. He needs to act like one.

• Related Discussions

Money issues -- please help

Q

Comments (64)
    "I'm in no way saying men shouldnt be held responsible. I'am just saying that it takes a real ignorant person to not respect the fact someone is married and to back off. There is so much lack of respect today for marriage that it is sad.I think it shows less morals of someone to want to be with a married man~Exspecially if kids are involved as KKNY said. To not care about another woman's feelings is one thing,but to purposely go after a man knowing he is married AND has kids is COLDHEARTED and morally wrong. " Above all marriage should be respected by married people, singles do not have any obbligation THEY ARE NOT MARRIED TO ANYBODY. I am not interested in anybody's else morals nor I should, I am interested in mine and my husband's, we are responsible for working to our marriage, keeping our relationship stable and for being true to each other. Nobody else is, nor in-laws, nor our children (their responsability is grow u as responsible people, nor keep the familly intact or judge the morals of adult people), nor our friends, nor anybody else attractive or egomassaging we can meet in the course of our life. I was cheated upon in by my first "serious" boyfriend, we were and lived together for 7 years and grown up his daughter from her 7 to 14 years (12 years later we still love each other and she says I am her real mommy) and while I left him when I discovered it I did have only pity for the other woman: if he was so fickle with a person (me) that had shared so many wonderful and important moments with him, what kind of relationship could he have witth her, just met at a party ? and in fact in 6 months time she was heartbroken (i live on a island so we know each other). I agree that single people should avoid dating married people (and I always did) but to avoid heartache, not because they are responsible for other people's marriages.
    ...See More

Adult stepsons still spoonfed by Mom

Q

Comments (2)
    I understand from what I read here and there that my role in this is to be the "bad guy" they are the victims, and mom is the enabler If you've read enough to understand this, then you know that the only escape from this drama triangle is for the "bad guy" to exit it. This doesn't mean you leave the house, but it does mean that you begin to speak your truth in a non-judging way, you draw boundaries and you calmly make clear what is not acceptable to you. Just by being aware of the dysfunction is the first step. The next step is to create some distance between yourself and the situation so you can clearly identify the role that each player is playing. You observe the situation, the players (including yourself) and the interactions from a certain distance. It's helpful to work this through with a therapist, but if you have a friend who can hear you without judging, that's useful too. There's no way out of the dysfunction without some amount of pain. People will cling to their roles, no matter how destructive they are, because it's what they know. Taking an honest look at one's life, if it's never been done before, is terrifying. But look at the alternative: more drama, more dysfunction, the cycle repeating through all future interactions with people. I think for your own health you need to come to terms with your family's situation, look at your own role in it, and make the changes you need in order to stop this cycle for you. May you find peace. Here is a link that might be useful: The Drama Triangle
    ...See More

Help identifying "Money Tree" health issue!

Q

Comments (9)
    Interesting regarding the acclimatizing of the leaves to a certain degree of sun/heat; that makes sense but was previously unaware, and indeed had kept it under gentle filtered light previously. Thanks for your help and the tip regarding repotting. On a partially-related note: your Pachira, shown, looks lovely (b'.')b and I look forward to the next few week or so as, I would hope and expect, the new foliage on mine begins to regrow. My little guy started as a little ~8" fella, and has since grown to prob about ~22-24", and I continue to look forward to the day when he'll reach 4-5' (unless I misunderstand something) and will have yet retained, by my continued close attention, his beautifully braided trunk at that size :D Do you think that if it has developed a reasonable amount of new foliage across the next month or two, since I live in CA and the weather will remain warm here till mid-to-late September (if not longer), that it would perhaps be safe to replant it (same pot) with new soil before next June? I wonder if it wouldn't be better to add new soil asap what with it having used the same soil for 2 years now, yet don't want to risk it's health by shocking it a second time in too quick of succession. I think I could probably judge its health well enough to decide, but I welcome your (or others') opinion in that.
    ...See More

Money Tree Health Issues

Q

Comments (6)
    Yikes! Agree with Josh. The plant needs drainage and light. Very pretty plant but it will go downhill quickly if you don't get more light. They do like moisture but not wet. Can you drill holes in the pot it is in? Is the pot plastic? If so, take a drill or a sharp knife and cut some holes in the bottom. Are those pebbles cemented together? If so, break that up or remove it entirely. That blocks airflow to the roots too. If you can do those things, move it to a window and make sure it drains well and gets bright light. Mine has always grown in good light both inside and out. Jane
    ...See More
  • kev111
    Original Author
    12 years ago

By way of update:

Text from Stepson: Can I trade my mom a bond for some cash? It will be good by the start of June. I need to do a little grocery shopping for myself.

Text back from me: Tell us what you need and we can include it with the regular groceries. Look at yourself. You are going nuts within 3 days of no credit card. This is life.

Text back from SS: Alright never mind then.

Text back from me: What do you need? We can buy specific groceries when we shop if there is something you want. Is it cigs? If that's the case then you are on your own. I am not paying for those any longer.

No text in return.

To her credit, wife is on my side with the credit card removal and has not slipped him any cash that I know of (which is likely still the case since I'm the LAST stop he would make to beg money).

He was pacing around the house last night griping about not having any cash and what the hell he was supposed to do to buy stuff. Wow, it's like he's coming off an addiction - which in retrospect might not be a far-off analogy.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

good, you are making progress, there are jobs out there, he has room and board and he wants anythign else, he will get a job

• kev111
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK, I'm back to needing some thoughts here.

Stepson announced to us that he spoke with his father who agreed to send HIM the past few months of child support owed. So a check worth a few thousand is on its way and it's made out to my stepson. Put this in the context of someone who is practically acting crazed because we took away his credit card and will not just give him cash. He's basically gloating that he found a loophole.

Looks like it will be a race to the mailbox on this one. I'm thinking that if my wife or I get to the check first we can rip it up and send an email to bio-dad saying that he must write out child support checks to my wife's name. Of course, bio-dad is pissed lately since he was looking to retire and just now realized my wife has a small claim on part of the pension - a different story but explains why he will have nothing to do with me or my wife.

If my stepson gets to the check first and decides to deposit it (unlikely to be able to cash it outright), then I am of the mind to say "take the rest of the child support and you are no longer supported by me at all". I would have NO problem doing this.

You all know the roadblock here - my wife. I've explained that she is always protective of her son though it seemed as though she had seen the light over the past few weeks. However, in just speaking with her now about the issue she tells me that we should at least let him have some of that money so he has some until he gets a job.

Sigh. I am so wound up right now. I thought she would stand by me on this.

I'll check back in when this all comes to a head. Thanks again for the support here - it's given me the backing to help me stop being the doormat in this whole screwed up soap opera.

• mattie_gt
    12 years ago

I'd be very concerned about the requests for cash. SS doesn't need groceries, SS isn't pacing around because he needs cash for cigarettes because he could mooch that much from a friend or find change in his car. Are you sure he's just smoking pot and is not doing more serious drugs?

Is his father legally allowed to pay CS directly to SS? He may be upset with your wife and/or you but I think I'd try to talk to him anyway. If SS is doing serious drugs or has some other problem right now, the last thing he needs is a couple of thousand in cash. Who knows what story his father has been told - but I very much doubt that it's "Dad, I need money for cigarettes and drugs and they won't give me any!"

SS needs to be out of your house. Period. A few thousand dollars is more than enough for first and last months' rent, and to tide him over until he gets a job at McDonalds. What example is this setting for the little ones?

• kev111
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You are so right, Mattie, and I've said this and more to my wife. We have both considered the possibility of there being a more serious drug issue, and it almost makes me want to bolt my door at night. Seriously.

Father is NOT legally allowed to give CS directly to his son. We would be perfectly within our rights to say "Your son thanks you for the gift you gave him, but where is the back child support you owe". His father literally has our emails blocked and will not accept our calls. I think it may be time, however, to find a way through and give him the lowdown.

I'm almost hoping that he makes a run at this money so I have enough indignation to say enough and end my own support of him. He can have the CS money, see how long that lasts you. And it is a TERRIBLE example that my younger kids see - that's what really hurts me the most.

My wife will take this to a different level, though, and that's what sucks. When a similar (but somewhat lesser) issue came up and I told her what I wanted done she basically told me that she would choose her son over me. The last time the situation cleared up on its own so the ultimatum was not tested from either side. Not so sure providence will be as kind this time around.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

He needs to go now, seriously. If she chooses her son, so be it. Let them get a place together. But you might want to tell her that since there are drugs in the house you are getting custody of younger kids and she only gets supervised visitations. See what she says. But i woudl start documenting what you see now for future references

• silversword
    12 years ago

He's 20?

Did I get that right?

I agree with PO1.

• momof3_stepof1
    12 years ago

There are times to choose your child over your spouse and there are times not too. This is one of those times NOT too. She needs to be a parent right now, not his friend. I agree, he needs to be out of the house. This is a very unhealthy situation for the littler kids.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

exactly momof3, that's so true. Nobody even has to choose one over the other, she would still be his supportive mother, he just needs to make big changes or live elsewhere. Plus it appears that she is also choosing adult son over her minor children. But i sympathize with OP, it must be tough...

• mattie_gt
    12 years ago

Kev, I agree with PO1 about documentation, and would suggest consulting an attorney if your wife is still saying that she would choose her son over you (and over the other two). An attorney can give you advice on what you need to start doing now to protect yourself and the little ones in the event that this situation does not get resolved. I really hope that your wife sees the light - but IF that doesn't happen, it would be much better for you and the kids for you to be prepared.

You've said that the younger two are earning money for DSI's, and presumably they have basic responsibilities to clean up after themselves and such. How does your wife suggest that this blatant favoritism is affecting them? What does she think it's doing to these two kids who are taking care of their business but see the older half-brother running wild, not only without consequences but getting rewarded for doing so?

I hope this works out.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

I understand I am not married so is easier to leave, but in any case if my SO's kids did drugs/smoke pot/left pot laying around in the house, I would call the police on them and leave and never come back, and if I had minor children in the house, they would leave with me.

• momof3_stepof1
    12 years ago

I told my husband from date number one I wouldn't have anything to do with anyone who did drugs. He knew up front I'd be gone if they were in my home. We both agree that if the kids start doing them, hard lessons will be learned. I'm very glad we are on the same page with this.

• mattie_gt
    12 years ago

"Looks like it will be a race to the mailbox on this one. I'm thinking that if my wife or I get to the check first we can rip it up and send an email to bio-dad saying that he must write out child support checks to my wife's name. "

I just had a thought - I believe you can fill out a "hold mail" form online. If your wife is amenable you might want to consider doing so.

• kev111
    Original Author
    12 years ago

An update for those of you who are following :)

Maybe this serves as a lesson to others beside me - because I'm finally learning that standing up strong with the knowledge that I am right has paid dividends.

The check did show up, and even though SS intercepted it he did agree to sign it over and have it deposited into his account for my wife and I to disseminate as we see fit. Wife actually backed me up.

SS got called to an orientation for the warehouse job mentioned, and since he's so 'poverty-stricken' now he's actually eager to attend. It's the night shift, and while difficult will pay more than some jobs and his usual deal is to stay up all night anyway and sleep all day. Guess he somehow passed the drug test - I'm not sure how, but not looking a gift horse...

Further, SS and mom have looked to enroll SS in a specific school for security guard training. It's not police work like he would like, but I'm happy that he's looking forward enough to see this as a stepping stone. If he can land some security work and keep taking some credits he might be better able to get into an academy once he has 60 credits along with that experience.

It's not perfect, but I feel relieved that my stance was taken seriously and both my wife and SS are seeing the reasoning. At least for now - but I will take what I can get at this point.

I'm cynical enough to expect a relapse here and there, but I finally am starting to think that so long as I stay consistent, firm, and continue to present the reasoning ahead of the emotion we have a good chance at continuing down the right road.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

that's good news, one step at a time! hope SS gets that job and training, what's going to ahppen with those 60 credits though

• kev111
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK, well this has evolved now and I'm seeking further advice.

Quick reference - three days ago I allowed my SS to take the credit card to buy new shoes he needed. Again, coming from family funds rather than the 15K in child support supposedly slated for his education. When I checked the bill online, I see that he charged for gas for his car and also for $108 at Best Buy.

I sent him a text to say that he will pay me back for the gas when he finally starts his summer job and asked him what the charge at Best Buy was. It was for an HDMI cable to better connect his X-Box to his LED TV.

First of all, it's easy to get HDMI cables for around $30 max online, and secondly I asked him how he might pay for the cable. His response: "From the $15K that is withering away in that account". We text-argued for a while, and I told him he is acting spoiled and entitled - what cash he had I've seen turned into pizza and fast food for a week. Drama King actually replied "What am I supposed to do for food - kill a deer and eat it?" Gee, sorry the food we cook at home and offer you is somewhere below hunted deer meat...

Anyway, I offered to give him the CS money and he can be on his own. He has agreed that he'd like to do that. He wants the money.

Spoke to wife, and while she's not thwarting things like usual, she tells me that she is staying out of the whole thing.

My questions:

1. I'd rather present a united front on this since it's pretty major. Should I force my wife to take a stand (preferably WITH me)? I'm worried she may become the good fairy again and swoop in to save the poor, tormented child.

Logistics about a semi-independent child:

2. How long should I give him before I start charging him rent?
    3. Better to have him buy his own car insurance or cut some slack and have him pay for his portion on our policy?
    4. Better to allow him to eat with family if he so chooses or allow him to have space available for his food and keep them totally separate?
    5. I'd like to stipulate that flicking cigarette butts in the yard, smoking in the home, and ANY sort of SIGN that there are drugs nearby will result in immediate 'eviction'. Should I put an actual contract together listing these and have him sign?

Any other thoughts on making this transition would be great. Would love to hear any actual experiences that anyone might wish to relate - even if it does not totally coincide with my particular deal.

Thanks again everybody.

• Amber3902
    12 years ago

Hi Kev,

I just read through the postings. I agree with pretty much everything the others have said, and suspect SS might be doing serious drugs.

You gave SS another chance with the credit card. He blew it. Now the credit card is taken away.
    I don�t like the idea of giving him the CS money because you know he is going to blow it all. But maybe giving it to him is the best thing, because once it's gone it's gone and he will have no one to blame but himself. It just might be the hard knock lesson he needs.

-"How long should I give him before I start charging him rent?" As soon as he starts getting paid.

- "Better to have him buy his own car insurance or cut some slack and have him pay for his portion on our policy?" - Cut the apron strings, make him get his own insurance, you've cut him enough slack

As for the food - Dinner is also a bonding time for families, and not just to eat. If he wants to eat with the family, I'd let him, provided he lets your wife know ahead of time so she knows to cook enough, otherwise, he has to fend for himself. He can buy his own snacks.

-I don't think you need to have a written contract, just tell him what the rules are and if he can�t keep them, he has to move out.

I hope your wife is still seeing things your way. I think keeping the focus on helping SS be an ADULT and prepare him for LIFE is the best angle to take with her.
    If she starts stalling, or gets defensive again about her son, you might want to say to her what will SS do if something happens to you and her? Yeah, he might inherit some money, but because he doesn't have the discipline to MANAGE it, he is going to blow it all and wind up on the streets. Does she want her son to be dependent on her for the rest of his life, or an independent adult? Harsh, but this is a desperate situation that require desperate measures.

Good luck to you.

• sweeby
    12 years ago

So is he a kid or an adult? I'd ask him which he'd prefer...

Kids: Live rent free, eat free food, have a car available when needed. But they ALSO have chores around the house that they need to do (or face consequences), they have a curfew, and have other behavioral rules they need to follow (again, or face consequences). Kids go to school.

Adults: Pay rent and a reasonable charge for utilities and meals eaten at their place of residence. They have use of the home's laundry facilities and public areas. Adults can come and go as they please without the 'third degree' from their landlords. Adults work for a living -- full time.

Neither kids nor adults are allowed to have illegal substances or break laws on the premises. Both older kids and adults are expected to clean up after themselves and be considerate of their families/roomates.

Bottom line, I'd offer him a choice of roles.

• aequitas1916
    12 years ago

Cut him off. He's a grown up now. Let him use the support money to pay his bills and when he realizes that he has blown through his free education and all the free Newports he can smoke, hand him a brochure about the Navy. Tell him to get a job as a Yeoman or something where he'll be in an office all day (That way he won't see battle, or it's at least incredibly unlikely). By the time he's served four years, he'll have learned discipline and responsibility. He'll be the man you and mom both want him to be, and get another shot at college, and you and your wife won't even have to argue about paying his expenses while he does it.

• catlettuce
    12 years ago

Wow, haven't been here in a while but had to comment on this post. I think that if he wants that cash so badly it should be used to get an apartment. That should cover 1st & last months, security dep etc.

I would be very hesitant to give that much cash to someone who may be using drugs. If that's what he is doing let him buy his stuff with the money he earned, not CS that is supposed to be for school. I'd go with him to find a safe apt, pay what it takes to get in and if here is any left take him grocery shopping. And kick him out of the nest. This kids sense of entitlement is amazing, however you can look to your wife for that. You and your younger children should not have to pay the price.

I love my DS dearly but when he was 18 he decided on a similar path and after going back and forth for a few months I gave him two choices, move out on his own. or move out to another state near his grand parents and go to college full time with a C or higher gap and I'd help. Thankfully we didn't have the cash issue to deal with as I can see how that would be a huge issue. And DS chose college and is doing great in his 3rd year and has worked all the way through as well. It hasn't come easy to him either, he has had to work hard for his grades but has really matured a lot the past three years. I just had too as his parent say enough and mean business.

CS should be used to support the child or yes school tuition,books etc if you are able to set it aside. Not a personal bank account for fun money.

And frankly your Wife should be the one putting all this into action because this just sets you up to be the baddie forever with this kid. She needs to "grow a set" and let her son know she means business. This kid will never be able to function independently and THAT will make your life a misery and be financially devastating for your family.

I think to save your marriage, the "adult" kid needs to move out and actually be an adult. Best of luck. I mean that. I say this as my DH continues to help support his 31 year old son who makes a very livable wage, along with his GF, 2 kids and four dogs, ad nauseum. he refuses to live within his means so DH makes up the difference, because you know, life is so hard and he's real trying etc.

My DH I realize will never stop this. I had to leave the home as SS would not and kept moving GFs in, it was really bad. But I have since bought my own home, DH is living with me and gives me money towards bills etc, an unusual situation but it works for us because I know I will not be forced out of my home again and DH knows that this kid is no way going to move here. Extreme-yes. But my home is finally peaceful.

I wonder what your wife thinks life will be like long term if she continues enabling her sons behavior? How does she envision his life when she is not able to meet his demands and neediness? Will she also be supporting his GF/ Grandkids? Will you & she still be married? Cause trust me it can go down that way and he will have his hand out as long as she is willing to slap some cash into it.
    -Cat

• kev111
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For anyone still following this saga, I have an update. Hopefully this will be the 'season finale' of the drama...

Going back to the part of the story where my stepson's father was sending child support directly to my stepson, I had written that my stepson handed over the check and his mother actually stood by me for once and agreed to put it into his account.

Well, the check I saw was only for $100, and it was explained to me that his father was actually just sending him spending money rather than the full child support. Fine, we can put the child support away for him as well when that arrives.

Yesterday, I got a notice from Wells Fargo about a problem with my account, so I checked it out since that is my mortgage carrier. However, it is also my stepson's checking account, and my name is still on that account because when it was opened my SS was not 18. I did not seek to look into his account, but when I opened the link it was all there.

The notice was regarding the fact the account was overdrawn, but what I saw upon looking further was what killed me. There, around May 20th, was a full deposit of child support money directly into his account.

I asked my wife if she knew about this, and she told me she did. She worked with my stepson to get him the money because she still feels he should have money to do stuff with.

What is very scary is that there was also a HUGE deposit made in March of over $2,700. There were a few other small deposits made and then this last one. In total, since March the deposits into the account was around $3,800 - and now it is ALL GONE - to the point where he overdrafted at the gas station and at McDonald's (using his check card).

My wife has always coddled my stepson and my efforts to impose simple rules and regulations were met with her claws as I stipulated at the beginning. At 20, she asked me to go ahead and take over things with him because for some strange reason he had turned spoiled and entitled - and very nasty to boot when he did not get his way. I agreed, and though I asked and asked to present a united front I at least ask that she NOT swoop in like the good fairy when the boy railed against the loss of his fun-time funding. She agreed.

And now this. She put me out there to be the heavy and then, like so many times, she came in and with an "us against him" mentality made his little financial boo-boo go away.

Well, not quite. Kid is overdrawn and I pointed out all of the money that was spent since March. And this does NOT even take into account the average $600+ on the credit card he was charging over that time nor the hefty amounts of cash she had given him for simple chores ($100 for painting a tiny laundry room - poorly - and others). Even she was amazed and asked if I thought he was doing some drugs or other nefarious things. Really, I asked. You think so? Sigh.

So, I'm done. I've had enough and I'm liquidating accounts to present him with a big lump sum now of about $3,000 with $12,000 to come later. Even my wife is worried that he just might do away with this money, and even (correctly) is scared he might OD out there somewhere on whatever he is doing. I don't know what else to do. I might have to mete out the $12,000 over time so perhaps that might slow things down a bit...

Can't worry about that now. I have two young children of 9 and 7 and I have to make sure the good fairy sees what happens when a child is insulated like my stepson was. A great deal of this falls on him - he has had every opportunity and we would have provided him with anything he needed to succeed, but he thought the world owed him something. However, a lot falls on us for not allowing him to struggle when he was young enough to recover and people would be there to pick him up.

Thanks again for all of your comments and support. Perhaps there might be a new season for this drama - and hopefully it will be a bit more uplifting.

• mattie_gt
    12 years ago

Kev, I'm so sorry. You must be so upset that your wife went behind your back. I think you're doing the right thing; you've got to take care of the two young ones; their mother does not appear to always be able to do what is best for her kids.

I don't know what to say. Good luck to you.

• Amber3902
    12 years ago

Wow. Just wow. I can't believe your wife went behind your back like that.

I would give him the rest of the money and be done with it. You could give him a thousand a month until it's all gone, but I bet he'll go through the thousand before the month is even done and will be giving you heartache about the rest. It's a shame because you're probably right about SS taking it and ODing on it.

I just had another thought, you could just flat out say no. Take the money and put it where neither your SS or your wife can get to it. Say it's payback for all the years of support you provided for him. I know it will probably cause all kinds of heck, but what can they do?

It's time to put your foot down. You may be saving your SS's life.

• kev111
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Mattie and Amber.

@Amber: The ensuing divorce would likely be MORE costly, and once it's done my stepson would probably have even more cash on hand to go nutty with.

Plus, I could not stand to be away from my own kids. Just going to have to cut things off as cleanly as I can.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

the whole arrangement seems to be asking for trouble, children should not have access to the child support at any age, it is for custodial parent to spend on that child and his needs. i don't understand why that money was not spent on him when he was a minor. You could put your own money aside but not child support.

I think since he was fully supported all these years by you and your wife, then child support belongs to you and your wife not stepson. I would consult with attorney and ask what is the best option here. This is not going to end, your wife will be financially supporting him behind your back after child support money is gone.

• sweeby
    12 years ago

Kev - Have you and your wife gone to a counselor about this issue? (I know the latest stunt is too recent - but the bigger picture.) Her recent actions severely undermined your marriage, and some repairs are in order.

As to the financial aspects -- I just can't imagine how throwing another $15,000 at a financially-irresponsible (at *best*) teen could be considered wise. There is no doubt in anyone's mind that the money will simply vanish if SS gets his paws on it. And it's a substantial enough sum that it could be used to good purpose -- paying rent on an apartment for several months, college tuition for a year or more, technical training or another sort, drug-treatment or counseling for HIM.

If it were me, I'd willingly agree to use the money for HIS BENEFIT -- but simply giving SS the money will actually NOT benefit him, and at this point, even Mommy's got to see it...

• kev111
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have tried to suggest counseling on this and other topics. Can't get her to go for it at this stage - though recent events might prove to be more damaging and perhaps viewed as counsel-worthy.

Financial infidelity can be just as devastating as personal infidelity, and I do feel betrayed - not just my usual undermined.

My fear with trying to go back to the standard way of doing things will be that in the end, with the CS money and whatever else I end up throwing him in addition to that amount, it will be MORE costly to the rest of the family.

I, like pretty much everyone here, agree that never should this money have been ever designated as "his". I always thought that I would have paid for a 4-year college and the saved money would have all been used. In fact, I was more than ready to pay for whatever college charges remained. Again, he had every opportunity - any school he wanted and could get into. I never, ever thought that there would be leftover money of that magnitude and that my wife would earmark it for him. When it all came about, it was such a whirlwind that it had a life of its own before I could stomp it out.

So we are where we are. I can't even watch anymore and I have to divest myself of this black hole that sucks out all of my good cheer. However, I have made myself perfectly clear in that if my wife ever gives him another penny out of our family funds I will consider that grounds for a divorce. For however many years she told me to not make her choose between her son or me - if he ever seeks more money from us I will then make her choose.

• sweeby
    12 years ago

Don't just *suggest* counselling. Make the appointment already! You *HAVE* been betrayed. And lied to. And undermined. And cheated on (financially). The trust in your marriage has been badly damaged by your wife's behavior and the very foundation of your marriage is in trouble.

I imagine you are thinking something along the lines of that this is not divorce-worthy given you love her and have children together, blah blah blah... If that is what you're thinking, I wouldn't let on to your wife, because right now, she's not taking the problem seriously enough -- not by a long shot.

The phrase I used on my Ex was simple but effective:

"I made an appointment with a counsellor for Tuesday at 11:00. You can come with me to discuss how to save our marriage; or I will go alone to discuss if our marriage is worth saving."

Then calmly leave the room to let your message sink in.

• momof3_stepof1
    12 years ago

WOW!!! Sweeby has an excellent recommendation there. That's exactly what you should use. Love it!! Good luck! You definately need it. If you don't get this taken care of now she'll be under the impression she can walk all over you in every situation.

My husband and I both receive child support for our children. We need it to feed the kids. We don't get much, either one of us... so the idea that she thinks that this support should be used at her son's discression is just wrong! It's to be used to support the child. You have supported this child and now you are being taken advantage of. How about you have your wife read what everyone else thinks. Maybe that will wake her up.

• Ashley
    12 years ago

"Child support should be used to "Support The Child" and that should include things like clothing, cell phone, car insurance, etc. That's when I'm accused of treating my stepson differently from my biological children in that we use the money I make to pay for all of their stuff. In her mind, we should be using the money I make to fully support my stepson or else I'm being unfair. The child support money is "HIS" and to use it for those items mentioned above is considered stealing it from him."...I think you need to ask your wife how it is unfair to use the money the childs father gives as support to support the child and point out the fact that your 2 children will not have an extra fund to spend however they see fit. This is ridiculous. She is enabling her child to be a total loser druggie. Is that what she wants for her kid???

• cmestep
    12 years ago

My husband has 4 grown boys. They all are screw ups in one way or the other. Two are really good at it. My husband I am finding out is a BIG reason why they are such "little boys". He wants to save them from this big, bad, life. We have fought and fought over it. He doesn't use "our" money to save them ( because I have threatened him if he does). But he uses his inheritance. It's the principle of it all. At first I got mad at the boys for how they are. Now instead I'm letting the father have it. It's tough road to go down. I understand about not wanting divorce. I don't want it...but I am drawing some very definite boundaries.

• myfampg
    12 years ago

I find it 'weird' for lack of a better term, that a custodial parent would see child support as a 'fund' for now adult child to use at his discretion. Normally you hear the obligor of payments complaining the support is not being used for what it is intended... Or that it should be used to save for large purchases such as a car or college. I rarely hear a custodial parent saying 'I'm not touching my child's money, that's his money'. Maybe a well-to-do parent who doesn't need the extra money but I tell you what, for me and for most everyone I know, the money isn't enough to cover expenses like child care plus dr visits plus shoes/clothing plus school extras ei: yearbooks, pictures, field trips, LUNCH, tshirts for field day or end of year parties.. When they are older, extra curriculars like band, drill team, foot ball, graduation, drivers Ed, LUNCH... I remember when I was a kid, my mom had a really crappy car and finally it just broke down and there was no hope for it.. I loved that car .. It was more expensive to fix than my mom to buy a newer car. Mom worked fulltime and was married to my stepdad who also worked. My biodad paid $220/month for three kids... All together that was how much he had to pay, when he paid. When my mom bought a 2 yr old used car, my dad was hollering, I bought that car, I'm paying for that car, I pay those payments, while he drove an even newer and nicer car than my mom. That memory has stuck with me for 16 years. I won't ever forget how it felt. It wasn't until I was older and realized that my dad was so full of crap!! Mom eventually had to explain to me when I was demanding my portion of child support be handed over to me RIGHT NOW... How the support was gone because last week I needed $80 for something at school and the week before that I had pictures made which was another $45 plus the graduation ring they bought me which was a few hundred.. Then there was the day that I needed some gas money to get to my part time job, and last month I didn't pay my insurance with my $ from working as I had promised and then, don't forget about the almost new car I was driving that I HAD TO HaVE! Wow right?

Then a few weeks ago when my daughter comes home from BD and tells me that she was told her dad is paying me ALOT of money to help raise me and that I needed to be using the money on HER only I simply sat back, took a deep breath and said... ' well ok, let's see... You take dance, that's $80/month. You take music, another $60. You are in an afterschool program instead of daycare at your choice, not mine, which is $125 a week, $35 more a week than traditional daycare but it's a good program and you wanted to be with your friends after school so I said OK. You just got new clothes last weekend for summer and shoes, your bill came to $175 while your brother only got a pair of flip flops and a tshirt at a total of $10. I didn't get anything neither did DH. So let's see what we have left over, total charges are $815 ... Well babe, your money was spent about $200 ago and let's see what we have left for the rest of the month, rent is due, water, electric, YOUR cell phone, cable, car, insurance, oh don't forget I provide you with health insurance which your portion is about $150/month plus, you are going to the dentist and dr in a few weeks for check ups AND we are also getting you braces ... That's an additional expense out of my pocket ... Not just my pocket but my husband, your stepfather, did we forget about him? Let's see what all does he pay for? Well it's way more than 20% of his income... Dh? When was the last time you bought yourself something? 'oh I don't know, I bought a $2 ap on my phone from iTunes the other day but don't forget the $12 book I also bought dd for the kindle. Wow! Seriously? So she also got a $12 book from DH/SF while he only spent $2 on himself?

Dd was shocked (and I wasn't sooo sarcastic but I basically pointed it out to her) she understands now and I doubt I will be hearing anytime soon about 'her' money...

I have an aunt who never received a dime from her ex... From age 3-18, no support was paid... So when her son was about 19 she receives this letter stating she would be receiving a very large sum of money from the estate of her ex who has now passed away... She kept every dime of it. She paid off her house, she became debt free, she bought a boat. Everyone was 'outraged' that she gave none of the money to her 19 year old son because that should have been HIS money. She said why? I worked and struggled and was a single mom his entire life and never received any assistance and now I'm being reimbursed. He had braces, had a car, is now in college on MY dime, so why should I hand over this large amount of money instead of paying off the incredible debt I have built over the last 15 years as being a single mom?? I agreed with her. She provided for her child... The money is hers.

• momof3_stepof1
    12 years ago

I agree with you myfampg, my ds11 sperm donor has never paid regularly. EVER.... about 7 years ago I got his tax refund, about $2700. I was actually so very very shocked. It was GREAT! My dh and I had made plans to travel to Las Vegas. Well, that money definately helped pay for that. My son didn't go without though. He has always had everything he needs. I've paid for him to have two surgeriers myself, he plays travel baseball, which is $400 plus per year. Plus you have all the hotels and such to pay for, gas, etc. He has all the equipment, which is VERY expensive. He always has nice shoes, clothes, and the kid eats like a horse. He's 5' and 130lbs. No skinny minnie! I do not feel bad for having used that money for other purposes. I remember that back then I went shopping and actually bought all the kids a bunch of clothes. Apparently our state has changed the laws and now any tax money that the sperm donor receives will now go to pay back the state before me now. BECAUSE..... sperm donor has 4 other children by 3 other moms who all used welfare. So.... the state gets their money back before I do... even though I have NEVER EVER used the welfare system. It's a crock!

This mom is just wrong in believing that this money should belong to this grown child. If she had not been lucky enough to meet this new husband and been so well off she wouldn't have had a choice but to use it. What if this new husband does divorce her.... would she be able to put all money from child support for the two younger kids in a fund for their education or whatever they see fit to spend it on? Probably not.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

"I find it 'weird' for lack of a better term, that a custodial parent would see child support as a 'fund' for now adult child to use at his discretion".

exactly, if for whatever reason mom decided not to spend that money but let stepdad to support the family out of his pocket, then I think whatever leftover belongs to stepdad or whoever actually supported a child. It certainly does not belong to now grown child. I think stepdad got screwed in all this big time.

• myfampg
    12 years ago

I too feel bad for stepdad because he sounds like my Dh and he just loves his family but is kind of at a breaking point where.. Ok when they graduate high school they move on, then you get to focus your energy on the next and then the next. And this guy can't focus on his own children. Her children! Her other children who are not getting equal to this other kid. And it absolutely outrages me to see parents treat their biological children different. Especially mom's. I dont know why. I think it's a deep down resentment in me directed at watching my grandma hurt my
    Mother for so many years while mom is the only loyal child she has. Argh!!

• JensNatPat
    12 years ago

I'm in NJ too and your son sounds like my brother. He's 19 now. He came into some money from a car accident when he turned 18. About $30,000. He blew through it all in 8 months and now has nothing to show for it. He came crying back to our Mother begging her to move back in. He now has a full time job and pays for his own cell phone as well as anything else he wants besides groceries. He's an angel now :) He had to hit bottom. Why doesn't he go live with his Dad?

On a side note....you said he bought a $100 cable at best buy??? My Mom would never give my brother cash because she knew drugs were an issue. So he'd use the CC to buy something and sell it cheaper for cash. Food for thought. He once bought a camera and turned around and sold it. Then used the $$$ to buy drugs.

It also sounds like a simple thing has been turned into a monster so to speak. It's simple. Go to school (passing grades) or get a full time job. No free ride. I think a child should be supported as long as one of thoes 2 things are happening. They have to hold up their end of the bargain. UGH. My SD is only 11. Is this what I have to look forward to? lol

Good luck!

• myfampg
    12 years ago

I don't think that's what you have to look forward to Jens as long as your husband is not enabling her to act this way and to feel entitled. Not all stepchildren will drain your bank account... Only when their parent drains it for them.

• kev111
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, had not been back in a while and it was amazing to see the flurry of activity on my posting. Thanks again to everyone who is participating.

By way of an update, the last I wrote was that I was going to go ahead and give my stepson the $15,000 or so that is in his education account and ING account. The breakout was $12,000 in 529K and $3,000 in ING, so he got the $3,000 on June 1st. The $12,000 will have to follow slower as there are logistical issues about maneuvering money in a 529K.

Recall that he was 'slipped' a full child support check directly behind my back from mom on May 19. That was $750, and by May 30th he had overdrawn.

So $3,000 on June 1st exactly, and the dope has yet to take my name off of the account so I can look in and see what's happening. He's down to $580 today (June 16th). And consider he is actually working as well. No deposits, so he's cashing his paychecks. So since May 19th he went through $750, then $2,420, and add to that whatever paycheck money. Let's just call it about $3,500 in a full month.

What am I to do. I'm supposedly out of this loop now and this money is going down the drain. I desperately hope it's not going to kill him, and I have to figure that drugs are in there somewhere - though I can see he spent about $1,200 or so at Best Buy. Must have some nice new gadgets somewhere.

He'll be after the slow-moving $12,000 by the end of this month. Maybe if I stall and mom can see the speed of the spending she'll balk at giving him the rest....

To reply to those who all seemed to write on June 13th:

@myfampg: Your post was great. I, too, sat down with both stepson and mom to explain that the CS money does not in any way cover all of his expenses. Not by a longshot especially when considering college, the car insurance, etc. Still, my wife just can't get over the idea of the money belonging to her son and that if I am not supporting him fully then I am somehow less of a parent to him and that I am treating my biological kids with a preferential bias. She presents this as basic FACT, and with such conviction I sometimes find myself wondering if I might be somehow in the wrong. Reading comments here and discussing with close friends and family gets me back to being grounded on the subject.

@momof3: In her threats to leave me if I don't start treating her son better (she wants me to play golf with him and take him on a trip to bond, etc), she tells me she'll do fine with the CS money she'd get from me for our two kids. She would not, you are correct.

@parent of one: Yes, I do feel that I got screwed (monetarily). There comes a time when you have to cut losses, though, and I seem to be there. I don't regret supporting my stepson at all. I feel it was my obligation as his parent, and I supported him in every way I could outside of money as well. I was the homework helper, his soccer coach for 5 years, his game buddy, etc. He just drifted after high school with some rotten friends, and now we're where we are. To me, being considered an ogre and a poor stepfather because I feel the CS money should not be a giant font of fun cash for a near 21-year-old who is nasty and grumpy all the time and failing school is where I'm REALLY getting screwed.

@Jens: Wow, $30,000 in 8 months. With $3,500 in one month that equates to $28,000 in 8 months Pretty much right on. I believe that my SS will also have to experience a bit of bottom feeding when the free ride is over, but I don't know if my wife won't bring him back and start coddling him again. Make those financial boo-boo's go away.

Again @myfampg: Enabling is certainly the choice word here. My wife has moments of lucidity where she will even say she has to stop enabling. Yes, I say, let's stop that and set up something now so we can't even do so if we want. Sadly, she's back to Ms. Hyde before I can get things done. I've told my stepson to read some of the texts he has written to me that I've saved about how he needs the money and deserves it and so on. I keep hoping he might see the level of spoiled entitlement he expresses, but to no avail yet.

Thanks again everyone. I'll see if I have a better update in the future.

• Amber3902
    12 years ago

Hey Kev,

"I find it 'weird' for lack of a better term, that a custodial parent would see child support as a 'fund' for now adult child to use at his discretion." I agree.

"Still, my wife just can't get over the idea of the money belonging to her son and that if I am not supporting him fully then I am somehow less of a parent to him and that I am treating my biological kids with a preferential bias. She presents this as basic FACT, and with such conviction I sometimes find myself wondering if I might be somehow in the wrong."

You are NOT his parent! He has a father! Like many others, I can not believe how you allow your wife to guilt you into believing that because you treat him differently than your two biological kids that you are a bad parent. Just because you don't support him finacially does not mean you are a bad parent. Child support is set up for the BIOLOGICAL father to pay. Unless the step father adopts the kid, he does not pay CS on a child that is not his.

How you continue to let her guilt you into thinking that because you want to withhold this money that you are somehow a bad parent is beyond me. In fact, NOT giving him the money is something a good parent would do. I'm pretty sure you know that once he gets the rest of this money it's going to be gone. I just hope nothing bad happens when your SS gets the rest of the money.

I just don't understand, I see this all the time in divorce forums. The husband has a good paying job, works hard and doesn't take any crap at work. But he allows his wife, someone who sits at home all day and has no idea of life in the real world, dictate to him how things will be.
    I don't mean to be harsh, but I just can't understand how a man who seems to be so successful in his professional career can allow someone in his personal life to walk all over him.

And the person who's really going to suffer is your step son.

• annkathryn
    12 years ago

Kev you mentioned that your SS has $12,000 in a 529. Remember that these tax-free accounts are for use to pay qualified higher education expenses in the year that the expenses are incurred. If the funds are withdrawn for any other (non-qualified) reason then taxes and a 10% penalty are due on the earnings portion. So be sure to subtract out what you'll owe the IRS from the $12,000 before turning it over to your SS. Otherwise you'll have to come up with that money when you file taxes next April and it might be a very unwelcome surprise.

• momof3_stepof1
    12 years ago

I agree 100% with Amber. You are absolutely being walked all over. Your wife is wrong. 100% wrong. Let her read this.

• kev111
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again for the grounding - and don't apologize for being harsh as it can be good for me to hear. I do feel that I am a peacekeeper way too much at home, but I constantly go back to my own two children and I guess I'm trying to protect them from heated battles in front of them or worse - a divorce. I'm to a point now where I seriously wonder whether a divorce might be better on everyone given the angst involved.

@ annkathryn: I realize the stipulations of the 529K. What I would do would be to drop his $12,000 into my younger kids' 529 funds which I started for each basically when they were 1. The idea then would be to stop funding those two accounts for a while and pay my SS the amount per month that would normally go to those two accounts until he reaches the $12K. To add insult to this injury, both SS and my wife feel that's too long a time to get the money and would insist I take it out of savings and pay the savings back over time.

Seriously, I look back over this stuff and I say to myself "How is it that I can even consider that I'm NOT in the right here". As right as I may be, my wife is so narrowly focused and impervious to reason that she literally goes haywire when I push these buttons.

But this is a stepfamily forum and not a divorce forum so let me throw another question in there.

My wife and I had a real blow-out this morning over the SS again because now her contention is that her SS is the way he is because I have been a failure as a father to him. She'll admit I was great to him up until he started failing college, but from there I've not been his buddy like she would have hoped. She wants me to take him golfing, to take him on a trip with me somewhere, and to basically put my arm around him and say, "Hey buddy, what can I do to help you in your life."

Without the full-on story with this, fact is I have been the one that has tried to help him map his life, and he doesn't ever seem interested. I WAS the one taking him to court, dealing with lawyers, etc when he's had his recent troubles. But I see the way he acts with the money issues above, I see him flick his cigarette butts around the yard and not care, I see his trash he leaves by the driveway every other day because he does not want it in his car, and I still have his texts demanding the child support money because it is his.

Frankly, I have no desire to hang around with a person like that. I guess I should be the better person and try harder to mentor him, but I just feel such anger with the way he feels the world owes him stuff that I find myself uninspired.

Am I wrong? Do I need to suck it up and be better about this? Is my wife correct when she tells me that I am failing him?

This has even more emphasis today - the day after Father's Day. Stepson said nothing to me the whole day. I know I'm not is bio-dad, but in the past he has thanked me for basically fulfilling the role. Guess I shouldn't feel too bad - he said nothing to his bio-dad either.

• momof3_stepof1
    12 years ago

No no no no no!!! His father failed him. You went above and beyond. Would you get your wife on the phone for me? LOL!!! I think she and I need to chat. My son's sperm donor failed him.... you HAVE NOT failed your step son. Maybe mom failed by spoiling him. Yeah... that's what it is. OMG, I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. I couldn't live like this, if this were me I'm afraid I'd be gone.

• parent_of_one
    12 years ago

"I have been a failure as a father to him."

you aren't his father, mom and dad failed him.

• kev111
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@ momof3 and parent of one: I realize I'm not his father, but it had been my pleasure to fill the role as mentor, coach, confidante, etc while growing up. At least since he was 8.

I think the problem ensued when he got older and started some troubles. I tried to step in as a parent to impose punishments and sanctions, and that is where my wife stepped in saying he was her son and I would not be permitted to be so harsh. In this way, I was basically allowed to be his buddy, but not a full-fledged parent in my role.

Now, I find it difficult to continue my former roles given his behavior and my inability to parent him. However, I'm wondering if I should try to swallow my pride and anger and try to keep the buddy part going where I can to at least have some method by which to try to guide him better....

• momof3_stepof1
    12 years ago

so lets get this straight... you are his father when your wife needs you to pay for him... but when it comes to fathering him as far as discipline you are not. You have to treat him equally financially but spoil him and be his buddy when he gets into trouble.... hmmmmmm, how do you think this will be looked upon by your two littler ones when they get to be his age and you have to discipline them? This will not turn out well.

• Amber3902
    12 years ago

"so lets get this straight... you are his father when your wife needs you to pay for him... but when it comes to fathering him as far as discipline you are not. You have to treat him equally financially but spoil him and be his buddy when he gets into trouble."
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Kids don't need buddies. They need parents. Your wife did not want you to be a parent to her son, yet now claims you have failed him. She is the one with the problem, not you. SHE has failed him, not you. You are the one trying to make your step son finically responsible. She is the one under minding you, she is the one that gave him $3,800 behind your back that he just blew through.

• sweeby
    12 years ago

At the risk of sounding repetitive...

Don't just *suggest* counseling. Make the appointment already!