SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darfawnda

Making a big deal out of something little?

darfawnda
13 years ago

I am still fuming a bit from an incident earlier tonight that my fiance has yet to acknowledge or apologize for and am wondering if I am feeling too strongly about the situation or if it is just a sign of what's to come.

At dinner, in usual fashion, my future SD7 decided to take her dear sweet time finishing her dinner around 45-60min is typical because she spends so much time talking and paying attention to the pets and not sitting properly in her chair and fussing over her veggies, etc. All she had left to finish was a fruit smoothie, which she was all excited about before dinner and then hardly touched at the table. Since it was her fruit/veggie portion of the meal it was important for her to eat so I finally said that we were going to spend 10 min in silence because she wouldn't shut up and concentrate on her food.

She did pretty good despite her "uncontrollable" giggling that Dad finally got after her for. What I was annoyed about though was that less than 5 min into the timer (yes, I set a timer) Dad decided to tickle daughter and break the silence. He claimed it was simply because she was done with her smoothie, but I was pissed because I was also trying to read quietly in the adjacent living room. I asked why they were talking and after he told me I said that I would be going up to my room to read in silence and that the 10 min was not up and was not just for the sake of finishing dinner.

My main issue is that I feel Dad completely disrespected the rule I set and basically told his daughter that she doesn't have to listen to me. I am mainly a SAHM, so I play a very active role in the rule setting, etc. I just feel like this incident sends two poor messages - it's ok for your partner to disrespect you and it's ok to not listen to your SM.

Am I blowing this situation up? I would never disrespect a rule made by my fiance for his daughter or blatantly do something he requested I not do out of courtesy. Maybe my issue is that I'm feeling like he's been discourteous about several things lately and this is just the straw breaking the poor camel's back. Or maybe it's hard when my fiance is trying to act like "one of the kids" and I hate having to set a rule for both of them to follow - I mean, is it so much to ask of an adult to either (a) be quiet for 10 min or (b) help enforce a child being quiet for 10 min?

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH