SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stepdadof1

stepdaughter cause of tension

stepdadof1
12 years ago

I have an 11 year old stepdaughter who wont even hardly talk to me. I dont yell at her for anything or ground her from anything unless she keeps pushing her moms buttons over an extended period of time. Then i will ground her from the computer or tv for a day and she will still use it anyways if i am not around and her mom will not say anything. Her mom says let her do the discipline but she doesnt do any at all but yell at her once she gets really angry. She has no chores and her mom gives her almost anything she wants and waits on her. i try to stay out of it even if i dont like what she is doing or let her do things like leave her stuff lay aroung and not say anything. she seems to get away with more than my 20 month old son because i wont let him get away with it. I try as hard as i can not to discipline because her mom says she will do it. It makes me feel like a guest in my own home sometimes. Also her mom gets up set because me and her daughter hardly talk or do things together. I always tell her hi and ask what she did in school but she says nothing and goes to her room to watch netflix. Also we dont really have the same intrest and if i do ask her to do something she always says no. She likes to just sit in the house and watch tv and go on the computer. Me and my son enjoy being outside and watching sports. Also if i do tell her something like pick something up or do something her mom comes back with well you left this out or you got this right in front of her daughter I am 30 and feel like i am being treated like an 11 year old with the same rules as an 11 year old. I did tell her mom that and she says i am putting down her daughter by saying that. I love her daughter and think of her as my own because her real dad has nothing to do with her. But i feel like i shouldnt have to raise her diffrent than my own kids and i should have some say around the house. If i do tell her something my wife says she is scared of me thats why she is always in her room. Like i said i dont hollar or yell at her at all and she has probably only been grounded by me 3 or 4 times in her life. I am the only one who will ground her though not her mom. Her mom will tell her she cant do something and then later on just let her. Her mom can be very stubborn and if i do try to talk to her about it i get told that i am the adult and have to try harder. i understand that but if i can tell her lets go do this or that but not pick something up that seems messed up. i have tried to talk to her mom about giving her chores and rules but she has gotten no chores and her rules have become more relaxed. me and her mom dated for over 5 years and just got married six months ago. anyone got any advice

Comments (5)