SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kri_mack

please help crisis at moms

Kristina Macaskill
16 years ago

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and I have an issue that I would like some input on.

My boyfriend (Steve) is divorced and has two wonderful kids from his first marriage (a 5 year old boy; Matt, and a 3.5 year old girl; Melodie). We have been living together for about a year and a half and things are going great within our household (for your info: we have the kids at least every second weekend and two evenings each week for dinner and their bath, plus for special events and when their mom has meetings, etc...).

However last August the kids mother (Claudia) had her boyfriend (Dan; who has a 2 year old daughter that visits regularly) move into their house. At first things were great and the kids spoke of Dan often, then they slowly spoke less and less of him. Recently Matt has been giving his mother a hard time, he throws fits often, refuses to listen and just makes life miserable for everyone in his mother's house.

Today was supposed to be his first visit with a child pyschologist, but he through a fit and Claudia brought him to daycare instead and went to the shrink on her own (not sure why she would let him 'win' on this issue, but she did).

Keeping in mind that his parents have been seperated/divorced for over 2 years now, that both parents are very present in his life, both parents have a new partner that lives in his homes and that he will be starting school in the fall; so obviously there has been a lot of change in his life. Does anyone have any theories as to what is going on at his mom's place and what can be done to improve the situation?

Also, has anyone else experienced this sort of behaviour from their son or step-son?

If you need additional info just ask! Thank you!

Kristina (step-mom)

Comments (7)