SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
longtimestep

Adult SD and Facebook

LongTimeStep
10 years ago

My adult stepdaughter while having accepted her parents will never get back together (over 25 years ago), has always acted ashamed of having divorced parents. Growing up she never talked about having divorced family, and most of her friends didn't even know i existed. SD has always wanted a nuclear family. She knows her parents aren't meant to be together, but she's very religious and ashamed not to have grown up in an intact family. Whenever i talk about my marriage to her dad, she never comments and will quickly try to change the subject. SD has made it clear that she believes in 1 marriage "til death do us part". She is now married and a mother herself. On her Facebook, i see how she posts a lot about marriage and divorce. I really don't know if its targeted at her parents or me, or about her hope that her marriage will be til death do us part. Maybe she's scared she could end up divorced too. Some of the things she's posted have been sharing an article about how country singer Miranda Lambert made a statement "divorce is not an option", and then sharing some quotes from other pages one of which said "i want my first marriage to be my only marriage" and "the most romantic love story isn't romeo and juliet who died together, but grandma and grandpa who grew old togehter". Should I take these things personally? I'm a bit embarrassed by it, cause all of DH's family and even my family are on her facebook and can see how she truly feels about marriage so they must know that SD has no respect for second marriages, including DH and mine. I never comment on what she posts, as i really don't want to start an argument with her. We already have a strained relationship. We live in the same town, but i only see her a few times a year. She's pretty clear that she doesn't want a relationship with me. She never has wanted one.

Comments (5)