Return to the Stepfamily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to deal with extended visitation

Posted by Vicky1975 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 16:45

I have been raising my stepson (9) full-time during the past 3 years. We are moving out of state now and BM will get him 3 times a year for 3-4 weeks each time. I already dread the time he'll be gone because him and I are so close. I am also worried that he will not be able to handle a 3-4 week visit since he has never spent more time with BM than an extended weekend (once he visited her for 6 days, but usually it's only over the weekend). He also does not want to travel by himself. Any suggestions? He will have to go on a 2.5 hour flight in order to see BM.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to deal with extended visitation

Every child is different, but I will tell you my experience. My daughter was in a similar situation to your SS until she was forced by a court order into extended visits of two consecutive weeks over the summer when she was 8 years old. It was very traumatic for her. She cried, became clingy, and wouldn't sleep alone. She's 11 now, and much better able to handle two consecutive weeks away. However, 3-4 weeks would still be too much at her current age. She hasn't fully recovered from the trauma of those long times away when she was younger.

My recommendation is to try, if you can, to break up the visits into shorter periods, and then gradually lengthen the periods as the child gets older. By the time the teenage years come around, 3-4 weeks won't be a problem.

o
RE: How to deal with extended visitation

I agree with you, and I think 10-14 days would be a good amount of time in the beginning. However, BM most likely will insist on her visitation time. Additionally, making my SS travel 5-6 times a year does not really make sense to me. My husband and BM have a verbal agreement that if he absolutely wants to come back BM will not force him to stay. However, it's a verbal agreement that we could not put in the paperwork, but I don't count on it because BM usually does what is best for her and she makes decisions that are not necessarily best for her son. We just saw that again today because she was supposed the get him over the weekend, but SS wants to see his friends before we move. She insisted on having him (a few days ago she told him it's ok if he does not visit her this weekend), but once my husband told her that we already made plans and she had to tell SS herself that he has to spend the weekend with her, she changed her mind (again).

I just hope that SS will be able to handle it or that she allows him to come back if it's getting too much for him. He already has "Separation Anxiety Disorder" and his therapist said it probably goes back to when he was little and BM abandoned him, and was triggered about a year ago when she did not pick him up from daycare. I am the person he is closest to, and I am not sure if he'll be able to handle being separated from me (and his dad) for that long.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stepfamily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here