SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jess3_gw

The best way to handle this?

jess3
12 years ago

I am curious as to how all of you have handled people assuming your stepkids were your biokids.

My SS11 play very competitive baseball. He has had a tourney every weekend we have had him since baseball started. His mom has not been to them because SD14 has had dance/POM competitions or practice. He is on a new team this year. He was playing a year up with the same team since Tball but DH thought he needed a change. It has been great for him. Anyway the parents on this team do not know BM, she goes to his league games during the week but I guess they just dont pay attention. I have become friendly with alot of the other moms and they see us bring him, and get water anf those things so they assume I must be mom.

My SS made a great play and I was sitting next to one of the dads and he leaned over and said " Wow great play, isnt that your son"? I stumbled on my words becaus I was not sure what to say. I did not want to say NO and not claim him, but I did not want to have to give a story either. So I said' well he is my stepson, but I definatley claim him". It made me feel bad, I dont want SS to think I would not claim him or be proud to be his mom nor do I wantto offend him or his BM. They all talk to me and ask questions as if I am his mom, just because they have not seen her and when she is there she sit away from everyone.

What is a good way to handle this? I

dont want to step on her toes or offend her but I enjoy the people and watching SS play. What would you do??

Comments (23)