SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue36_gw

Question on Group Counseling

sue36
14 years ago

I was wondering if any of you know the answer to this. My sister and her X divorced a number of years ago (he never paid any child support, long story). A few years ago my niece starting having some issues and shortly thereafter X's new wife had a baby. Things went downhill rapidly. My sister, her X and my niece went into counseling. In one of the final meetings it was agreed that niece would live with her mother 100% of the time (it had been shared). Niece asked her father if she could still stay overnight with him occassionally and he said no. Counselor, sister and niece were crying. Niece walked out, devastated. X tried to back pedal, but damage was done. He voluntarily relinquished physical custody, but they never went to court (they are both dumb a$$es, what can I say).

Now my sister is trying to get child support. His attorney sent a letter saying that X said my sister "stopped enforcing the shared custody". In other words, he is denying that he said he didn't want her in his house. He has had little contact with her (niece) in over a year. He basically walked away from any parenting at all. He has shared legal custody, but he has refused to be involved (he "can't handle the stress") by choice. Which was fine with him until he was asked to pay something.

Does anyone know if what was said in counseling can be admitted in court? He is trying to paint a picture (actually, he is lying) about what actually happened. Anyone know to what extent the court will consider what was said in counseling? Thanks.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington