SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom_of_4

ss social skills (ceph and sweeby pls rd)

mom_of_4
14 years ago

I would love advice from anyone but I know ceph is dealing with adhd with her ss and sweeby deals with learning issues and the like with her son as well

My ss (soon to be 13 next month) is having a really hard time with his social skills. In general I would say he acts more like my 7 year old then any 10 or 13 year old. When he makes friends in the neighborhood they are always WAY younger than he is and I swear even then sometimes these kids act older then he does.

I have tried several things... I thought for a while that maybe we were just to strict and I needed to give him more freedom but that didnt work...I put him into classes that only consisted of kids his own age but he still only conversed with kids after his class that were significantly younger than he is.

His conversations and questions sometimes sound much like a two year old asking a question and it is oh so frustrating. DH can barely tolerate it anymore and ends up just biting ss's head off and then worrying about why he is playing with kids so much younger.

I talked to ss and asked him why he plays with younger kids and he said he doesnt know. I asked him if he wanted to hang out with kids his own age and he said yes but he didnt know how.

How do you teach someone to hang out with there own age group? I am sort of baffled by it.

My mom suggested that the reason he hangs out with kids so much younger than he is, is that they dont make him feel dumb. With all of his difficulties in school he tends to say fairly ridiculous things... so that sounds like a possible reason....

but he is going to be put back into middle school next year and I am really worried about how he is going to fair. Middle school is a hard time for everyone... I dont want things to be even tougher for him because he doesnt have 13 year old social skills... but rather 7 year old social skills.

any suggestions are appreciated

Comments (5)