SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
unhappysm

Lying and disrespect

unhappysm
13 years ago

My husband and I just bought his 16yo daughter a car. The agreement was that we would not buy her a car until she got a job and she told us she has a job.

I also have a daughter who is 18 and she has been working since 16yo and is working two jobs to pay for her own insurance, gas, etc. We do not give her money. The rule in our home is that if you want the extras like having your own vehicle...etc. then you need to work to take care of your responsibilities.

We recently found out that SD lied about getting a job so we would buy her a car. Now that my husband found this out, he has not done anything about her lying to him. She has no job and he continues handing her money on the side even though we do not give money to the other daughter (luckily she doesn't know that he does this because she is old enough to know that it is not fair). SD is a habital liar, not just about this but several other things in the past such as school, her whereabouts, etc.

Here is the problem...I try to let my husband deal with his daughter because he likes to vent to me but doesn't want to hear my opinions. The thing is that I get so tired of listening to it because every day it is something new that he complains about and I feel like he is part of the problem because he just lets it happen and doesn't demand any respect. I don't want to seem disinterested in what he has to say, but frankly I am tired of hearing about it, but then he doesn't like what I have to say.

Has anyone dealt with kind of situation and how did you handle things?

Comments (9)