SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teaforeverybody

Wife of the stepson wonders about siblings-in-law

Teaforeverybody
10 years ago

Hello, I am married to the stepson and come from a very close, non-divorced family. I really am very much a "family" person and have tried to get closer to my inlaws. My husband's stepmom agrees to some visits, but backs out at last minute so it is just me and husband's dad and little sibs. She is not receptive to my attempts to spend time or even have an email friendship. It is really important to me to get to know my new adolescent sisters-in-law (technically, my husband's half sisters) - I hope one day they will be close. I made them my bridesmaids and made sure the stepmom went down the aisle and received a corsage and all of that. I feel like my husband's father is VERY passive (he just does whatever the chicks tell him to do) and my step MIL is nice enough but more interested in her own nuclear family. Only when I remarked, did they even seem to notice that no pictures of my husband were on display anywhere in the house. They have a giant and gaudy family portrait of their nuclear family and only now have pics of my husband out. It is almost like they think he stopped existing after graduation. They were very involved in the rehearsal dinner for the wedding...which I REALLY appreciated. But now I never hear from them. I have to initiate all contact. I want to bond, I like being close to family. My mother in law is the sweetest person on earth and we are very close. Phone messages to step mother in law and father in law go un-returned, ignored. emailed step mother in law weeks ago asking for information about where my sister in law will go to college and what the plans for graduation will be. Haven't heard from the parents. The sister in law emailed me with her college choice. but she doesn't know her schedule of events. I feel like we have to demand to be included. They didn't even tell us when they celebrated my husband's father's birthday. What can I do other than pester them into telling me stuff? I want us to be a family that communicates but I feel like it is all on my end. :(

Comments (9)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler