SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
delilah_s

step-parent adoption in AL

delilah_s
14 years ago

Hello everyone I am new to the forum and have been reading over a few posts. I am like the most of you. I am the BM of two kids from an abusive marriage. I left my ex over three years ago and he got visitation of kids. He never wanted the baby (a boy, now 4) only the girl (now 6). Daugther later told on him for "touching her", we pressed charges but he was let go because of her age. They said it was a hard case to prosecute (we live in Alabama). Well, he has not saw her in 3 years now (in June) and my husband (of 2.5 years) is the only dad my kids know. He is literally the only dad my son knows, but my daughter remembers her BF and is extremely terrified of him. Her school has had to call me a few times b/c she was so upset b/c she thought she saw him coming to "kill her" (he threatened her with that before, she's told counselors), teacher could not calm her down. Anyway, we have filed for an adoption and are waiting to see if it gets contested. Has anyone gone through a contested adoption hearing that can offer advice about "if" that happens? Will daughter have to testify? I am a little nervous about it being contested. I haven't saw him in 3 years and am still a little afraid of him myself!

Comments (5)