SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parent_of_one

SDs-Dramatic attitude changes

parent_of_one
12 years ago

Sorry, long....

SDs (primarily OSD) were having really big attitude change towards SO.

SO is very hands-on involved loving father, he was always there for the kids. I only knew him since Sds were already adults but SDs themselves told me he was this way when they were young too.

SO paid both SDs college tuition in full (OSD undergrad and grad, YSD undergrad). YSD went to school after divorce already so he was the only one who paid everything, BM refused to contribute.

He also paid things that are not typical in my opinion, such as their vacations, trips, clothes, cars, pets, pretty much everything one can think of.

I always thought it is ridiculous, but not my problem...

Well in between all of that BM became filthy rich, won't share details but so rich that she does nto have to work anymore and can lead lavish life style and it changed everything, until recently SDs barely talked to their mother and now everything changed, now OSD barely acknowledges she has a father...

Anyways starting last year SO started to gradually minimize his financial involvement with them. OSD is married and they both make good money but he's been paying for their vacations as well as airplane tickets. Last year OSD and YSD went with us on vacation and OSD asked if dad would want to take them on a cruise next year because that's what her in-laws do every year and they take OSD.

SO politely said that he will need to start saving more for old age plus he is afraid to lose his job and is afraid to spend lavishly, so he won't be taking them on vacations unless they pay their share. He will be visiting them of course as he always did. SD was not too happy...

Now OSD and YSD spends every vacation with BM or go on vacations paid by BM or go with OSD's in-laws.

Also SDs used to come home every few months if not more often, every holiday, every long weekend, and ask SO to pay for the tickets, he also paid for OSD's DH's ticket.

Now he said that he finds it difficult to continue paying for the tickets that often. now OSD does not visit AT ALL (since dad does not buy her a ticket)and when SO wants to visit he never can because BM is visiting EVERY holiday. We did go there for Christmas but were treated poorly and SO was very hurt...

Now BM promised to buy OSD a house, and generally she spends huge amounts of money on both Sds as of this year. YSD did not really change, just a bit, but OSD now barely talks to her dad. Never calls, if he calls she is not returning his phone calls.

SO left OSD and her DH several messages 3 days on a row now (OSD is expecting and is due any time and he is concerned they don't answer phone calls) and they NEVER called back even though he kept saying he worries. Then YSD said "dad, how could you expect them to call you back when mom is visiting?." WTF! When i visit DD and her dad calls, sure she would answer the phone call!

Of course none of this should concern me. But SO is very upset and hurt all the time and he is also embarrassed because he knows I see it and other people as well. He talks about it all the time, but I keep quiet. I know he created monsters. Funny thing, they are the ones creating all this, yet i am the one who has to listen to him complaining, not them!

Also SO's mother is very ill, her cancer came back and she is truly struggling, she just had a difficult surgery and is undergoing chemo. SO hired a private live-in nurse to be with his mother during the day. Neither SD even ask how grandma is doing, they don't give a damn! For the last 3 days grandma had a crisis, and SDs cannot call back because they have BM visiting!

I don't even ask for advice because it is not really my battle... But funny thing I knew that's how his spoiling them was going to end up...Just sad, awfully sad...

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer