SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom2emall

What to do when kids won't take their turn?

mom2emall
14 years ago

Lately I have been having a problem with ds12 and ss8 playing together. Now that the weather is nice every day after DS is done with homework he is outside with a group of nice friends playing. They play different sports, tag, nerf guns, cops and robbers, etc. In the beginning ds and his friends welcomed ss into their group and let him play with them. But more and more ss started getting whiney. If it was his turn to be it in tag he decided he was done playing and would begin screaming and crying if the kids called him out on his quitting so he did not have to be it. If they were playing some nerf gun game and ss was out he was scream and cry so loudly that neighbors came out to make sure someone was not injured. If they were playing baseball and he did not make it to home plate he screamed.

Over and over again dh and I talked to ss about his behavior and how it was not fun for other kids to play with him when he acted that way. We warned him that if he kept it up nobody was going to want to play with him. We said we understood some parts of games were not fun, but if you are going to play you need to do the fun and not so fun parts. When the screaming and crying continued we even banned ss from going outside to play with ds and friends for a few days.

Well the other day the kids were playing cops and robbers and ss again began his screaming and my neighbor came out at the same time I heard it and came out.

I brought ss inside and told him he was done playing with the big kids. DH told him if he was going to act like a 2 year old then he definately could not play with 12 and 13 year olds. I just don't know what to do! I know siblings argue and fight. But this just stinks. And DS and his friends are not mean or rough with ss, his crying and whining and screaming is purely poor sportmanship and avoidance of things he does not want to do.

During the week ss can't have friends over because none of them live in walking distance like ds's do, and because of their ages/parents jobs when we have tried to organize something during the week it just does not work.

Any suggestions???

Comments (7)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH