SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justnotmartha

How hard is it, really

justnotmartha
15 years ago

To attend a stinking 90 minute meeting for your child's activity??

Tonight was a meeting for SD's sport at the high school she'll be attending next year. I let BM know about it a month ago, and then reminded her Monday. SD is with her tonight through Sunday, but we didn't know if she was working and SD would be here or if she had today off and would pick SD up from school. She emailed Wednesday that if SD wanted to be involved they would make the meeting. I replied she'd just said the night before she still did and I would meet them there.

So today BM emails and asks "Do we have to be there tonight?" That's it. We didn't get the email until tonight. SD shows up here after school and her mom shows up 30 minutes late - 4:30. We then get a call at 6:10 from SD that she and BM won't be coming to the meeting because they went shopping after she picked her up, so SD has to do her homework and BM has to fix dinner right then.

Seriously?? Obviously BM had changed her mind about going. Why could she not have left SD here to go to the meeting with me if she didn't feel like it? Why did SD have to miss it? It's not like this was sprung on her at the last minute. How hard would it have been to go straight home, do homework, fix a quick dinner and make the meeting. BM had the whole day off and couldn't even get here on time to pick SD up!

It's really frustrating, because through I worked a full day with no lunch and came home long enough to change and leave for the meeting w/o any dinner I still made it. The word sacrifice is not in her vocab and it just drives me to drink.

What I'm worried about is SD's sport next year. They outlined just how much of a parental commitment it requires as well as the girls, and I fear BM won't hold up her end. . . . especially if she can't even manage to go to the initial meeting!! SD is penalized for missing anything or being late, but this is a regular thing for BM to do. I don't know if we should allow SD to participate if it's going to be a battle every week. Remember too that just a few months ago when SD and BM had it out in my living room because SD wanted less visitation time that BM promised to make more of an effort to be involved and drive the whole 20 minutes over here more often so SD didn't miss out on things because she was at her mom's. HA.

I'm just so irritated. She will never change. She will never do anything inconvenient for her for the sake of her daughter. I will NEVER be able to understand how a person like that can consider themselves a good parent.

Thanks guys. You can bill me for my 'therapy.'

Comments (13)