SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
believer_gw

Do birthday parties seem like a competition to you?

believer
15 years ago

My SD10 goes to a small private school. It is not unusual for a child in her grade to have a birthday party and invite the entire 5th grade class. This would be about 40 or so kids. There are several families that are very well to do but even with that I think it is excessive to invite the entire grade.

My DH is driving across town to a gymnastics place where several birthday parties have been held that my SD10 has attended. SD10 wants to have her party here (her birthday is this Thursday and the party will have to be later as they are booked pretty solid) and DH has said that would be fine. I told him that if he was going to ok this he was going to have to make the plans and make sure that he was able to be there because I was not in agreement with it.

Part of my reasoning is that he is working 6 days a week and seems to every year at this time. The last 2 years I have been the one doing the party and I wasn't going to do it this year. Especially with it being so far away, at a place that I have never been to, with my pain levels always in question and so on. He agreed to let SD10 invite 5 girls. I am curious as to how much this is going to cost.

I am tired of making a big deal out of the birthday parties. I think that it is an extravagance and we cannot afford to keep up with the Jones. I am not one to do a sleep over with a bunch of screaming girls either so to say we could save money and do something at home won't appeal to me either. I have lived long enough to know that I would be doing most if not all of the work and I don't want to do it.

When and where do you draw the line? I would have been happy with SD10 having a girlfriend overnight, going out to eat, renting movies or going to the "Y". It is not that I don't want to have SD10 enjoy her birthday. I just think this is too much.

Since we spend the same on each at home kid whatever this ends up costing will also be the amount spent on DS16. Mind you, this does not include a birthday gift. DH has already given her a $70.00 cd player and she is asking for more.....Am I being a scrooge?

Comments (29)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio