SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

Speaking of Alcohol...

sylviatexas1
14 years ago

There were a couple of references lately to insane behavior by people who were drinking, & one about how hard it is to prove that there was danger when a child is in the care of an alcoholic parent.

I just want to say...

keep at it, diligently, eternally;

do whatever you have to do.

Try to get the problem drinker to stop picking up the kids.

(You'll never get him/her to stop drinking.)

I once worked with a young mother whose 2 children had to visit their father every other week;

due to his numerous DUIs & his history of bar fights, he was under restrictions when the kids were with him.

The only reason he still had visitation, or exercised his visitation, was that his mother insisted;

she bailed him out, paid for lawyers, etc.

When he had an accident, drunk, with both children in the car, the courts ordered his mother's presence the entire 48 hours, & she agreed to it.

Late one Friday night/Saturday morning, the Dallas police called my co-worker to tell her that her children were in the Dallas Emergency Children's Shelter.

Their dad was dead.

When he had picked them up that afternoon, his mother was in the car, so he had dropped her off at home & had gone to a bar & ordered a pizza for the children.

He then proceded to get totally drunk (hey, it was Friday, he had a paycheck), get into a fight over a game of pool, & he got stabbed.

I don't know what if any trouble his mother got into for allowing her son to violate the terms of his visitation.

Those children could have been hurt or crippled or killed in the car accident or in who-knows-what other risky journeys their father took them on.

Keep your guard up, & keep your camera & a tape recorder on you, & keep up with what the courts are requiring of the person who is drinking.

Document any conversation in which the person sounds slurry/weepy/irrational/scattered/belligerant etc.

Take photos or videotape any altercations that take place in your presence.

If the person is yelling at you, threatening you, invading your "space", fold your arms & be sure your fingers are protruding from the other side;

a department store security guard taught me that this will establish that you are obviously not taking an aggressive stance or throwing punches, which is what the drinker is going to allege.

Document any mention of such slurry/weepy/etc behavior or speech by anyone else who talks to the person.

The more you can keep such a driver off the streets, the better chance you give his/her children & all the rest of us who are on the roads.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions