Return to the Stepfamily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Birthday siblings

Posted by nikemama (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 27, 09 at 16:54

My middle son is turning 10 next week. He is planning on having maybe 6 kids from school come spend the night. My oldest son (15) says that he is going to his GF's and avoid as much as possible of the whole birthday thing. SS (13) says he isn't coming cause he don't want to deal with it either. SD will likely not come either if SS (12) doesn't come. Am I crazy thinking that the older kids should be at little brothers birthday regardless of if they don't think it is their cup of tea???

It is his birthday for crying out loud. I feel like somethings you suck it up for the people who matter to you. DH thinks it isn't any big deal and I shouldn't expect them to be at the party/sleep over.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Birthday siblings

I remember being a teenager and my stepmom asking me to be home to help with my sisters b-day party. I was planning on going out with friends. Did not occur to me at the time that I needed to be at a 5 year olds friend party.

Maybe you should just tell the kids that your son "wants" them there to celebrate his birthday and you could also use the help.

o

I don't blame the older kids for wanting away from a group of tweens. Some teens don't mind but some just don't want to be bothered by younger kids following them, copying them and it's unreasonable to expect the older kids to come to a 'kid' party if they have no interest in it. I do think the older kids need to celebrate with their brother, but maybe at a smaller family celebration, not with the group of friends.

o

I agree with ima, a small family celebration seperate from the kids. My mom never made any of her kids do anything togethor as friends (as opposed to family things -- theres a difference), and now we are all the best of friends. I think forcing things on kids, just like forcing on anyone, can breed resentment.

o

What about asking the other kids to be there for cake and presents, and then they can head off to do whatever else they so please?

o

I was thinking the same as Ceph - stick around for the cake and gifts and then split. . . . if there isn't a separate family party planned. If there is, I would say the kids could miss the slumber party. Chances are your son wants to hang with his friends not his sibs any way.

o

My older kids always cleared out when something like this happened. Shouldn't be a big deal. I think the 10 year old would rather spend the time with friends anyway, most do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stepfamily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here