SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silversword_gw

Potty Vent!!!!!!!

silversword
13 years ago

DD(8) told me the other day: "Mom, you know those pads you use when you get your period? I had some of those when I was with Dad."

Me: (wth?) "what do you mean?"

DD: "I put them in my panties in case I had an accident"

Me: "Were they like mommy's? Where did you get them?"

DD: "No, they were for kids! They came in bright packages and WBSM bought them for me. Or maybe it was dad".

Ok... I let it go because I had NO IDEA what to say to her at the moment. But after a day or so I realized...

Wait, here's a little backstory. DD has NEVER wet the bed. Not once. She does have issues 'remembering' to go pee. In other words, she doesn't want to take a break to go, and had about two years of 'dribbling' in her panties because she waited too long. She will literally be doing the potty dance and say no, she doesn't have to go. And of course, wet panties = rash = itching = discomfort = smell = humiliation = (mom getting really frustrated because for goodness sakes! and mom gets to be potty police)

I nipped that in the bud when I told her "you pee in your pants, you don't play". In other words, if you can't take a break from your fun activity to use the bathroom, you can't keep playing with wet pants. We stopped having a change of clothes in the car/offering a change as a solution. And we had to leave one basketball game (didn't want to miss her chance on the court!) but once she realized if she didn't take the time to pee and went in her pants she would have to miss the fun....

That worked. She stopped having 'accidents' immediately.

Well. Every time she'd go to dad's she'd come back with her bad habits magnified. Chewing with mouth open. Talking back. Peeing in her pants! She went to her dad's last year, and when she came back we had the same issue except worse. It was literally happening 2-3x a week. I had to leave work and go pick her up at school twice because she had wet herself.

So, now I'm putting this all together. NO FRICKING WONDER she didn't care about taking the time to go. When you're wearing the equivalent of a diaper, who cares?

I am so annoyed with Dad and WBSM.

(and, I can't find those kid's pantyliners anywhere... does anyone know about them?)

And, lest anyone go off on the "child abuse/physical issue" potential aspect of the whole thing, no my child is not abused, and no, this is not a physical issue. She simply doesn't want to take the time to go pee.

Comments (37)