SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovehadley

I'm a little late on this...from previous thread...half siblings

lovehadley
14 years ago

"If my X ever told my DD that she had a new sibling, I would say no, she might have a new half sibling, but that is it. I would regard it as badmouthing me if X ever insisted that a half sibling was my DDs sibling and not half, becuase he would be denying my role."

This comment made my stomach turn. I just cannot imagine feeling this way.

I can see using the term half-sibling in a technical way, to describe the relationship to an outsider.

But other than that....I don't see ANY reason for kids or adult kids to use the term. I guess it depends on the situations. But I will tell you--my SS has a 2 year old baby sister at BM's and BM is due VERY SOON with another baby girl. To SS--those are his SISTERS. He has NEVER used the term half-sibling. And DH and I ALAYS refer to his baby sister as his SISTER. That's what she is! It certainly doesn't *offend* my DH to refer to the two year old as SS's sister.

Likewise, we are adopting a baby and that child will be our children's SIBLING. I do not intend on saying "oh, this is your ADOPTED SISTER" or (worse) "your adopted half-sister."

The attitude about having to define halves breeds resentment IMO. KKNY, at this point, your DD is almost an adult, so why would you care if SHE views a child her dad may have as a sibling? Why would you feel the need to insist/remind her that the child is (just a) half sibling?

I don't get it.

One of my very dearest friends is the middle child of 3. Her parents divorced when we were 14 and her dad remarried and went on to have a son with his second wife when we were 18 and seniors in highschool. My friend never referred to him as a "half-brother" and to this day, they are very close, he is her BABY BROTHER. She lives in Boston now but comes back to our home city to visit a few times a year and she spends a ton of time with her now-11 year old brother. I can't imagine her ever using the word "half," except like I said, to clarify the relationship for an outsider.

My DD has a *half* sibling from her bio0-dad whom she has never met. But good grief...if she ever, down the road, met her and had a relationship with her (which is very possible!) I would not get my panties in a wad if she referred to her as her sister.

I mean, really---at the end of the day--what does it matter????

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!