SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silversword_gw

My Kid, My Choice

silversword
14 years ago

This is a new thread in response to the discussion brought up on the What Would You Do? thread.

Rather than hijack, Im moving my response here. The discussion started veering off course on whether or not it is appropriate to use a prescription medication that was not prescribed to one personally.

Finedreams, I agree with you that Marijuana is inappropriate in the case you mentioned. But so is a happy meal every day for lunch. If we are to start regulating everything parents do the government will be bogged down beyond recognition. And, I'm sorry, but many health care "professionals", CPS, etc don't know what the heck they're talking about.

A little boy dying of sodium overdose from a couple cans of soup is ridiculous. It takes a lot of salt, over a period of time to kill a person. Are you talking about the foster child who put salt on everything and now his parents are charged with homicide for letting him do that? What that tells me is we need to educate parents better on proper nutrition, especially FOSTER PARENTS who the GOVERNMENT enables to care for children. Honestly, this should be the government's fault for giving a foster family a child who has issues like this, and not making sure the foster parents are equipped to handle this type of situation. Do you think we should regulate sodium intake for every citizen? Should these parents go to jail?

But soft drinks are linked to osteoporosis, obesity, tooth decay, hypertension, colon cancer, and kidney disease and many schools still have contracts with the soda manufacturers to have vending machines in the school. Yep. My kid, the Government's choice.

"If you put a young child in a pick-truck and he fell off, i certainly hope you get punished for it and have no more children. It is a tragedy that could be prevented. But I also hope that somebody would notice it before he dies, and applies some consequences to you, so you stop doing it."

Wow. Just wow. I grew up with pickup trucks being the only mode of transportation. On a ranch. With bumps and potholes and all that jazz. We rode in the backs of pickups everywhere, even on the city streets and highways. Everyone did. And I never once knew anyone who fell out and died. We rode on the running boards, we sat on the windows, we even rode on the hood sometimes. We also had rope swings and rode our bikes without helmets and went swimming without lifeguards and climbed trees. No one died.

I have known people who have accidentally run over their children because they didn't know they were in the driveway though. Should we punish them too? For failing to properly clear the area before backing up?

I'm not advocating willy-nilly giving kids adult prescription medicines or drugs or putting infants in the back of pickup trucks or letting children eat whatever they want. I am advocating parenting by common sense, not by government intervention/threats/ and the misguided perception that they know what is best for my family.

Consider obesity. Caused by poor diet and lack of exercise. Skim the surface and find inappropriate school lunches and gym classes being canceled all over the place. The USA spends more on treating obesity than it does on cancer. Should we blame the families for feeding their kids low-cost junk or should we blame the government for not keeping our priorities on national health and instead going to spend billions on a fake war, letting the banks run off with our money and then subsidizing them, etc etc.

My kid. My choice. Yes, some kids fall through the cracks. But I am of the opinion that most parents, given the resources, will make appropriate choices for their children.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH