SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicksmom_gw

Spring Break travel hassles

nicksmom
15 years ago

Now that SD lives with us, she will go to her mom's for Spring Break.

We have plans to go to the beach with another family. We are driving to Atlanta Thursday afternoon (will probably arrive late Thurs night or Friday morning). We'll spend the night in Atlanta with our friends (whom we are beaching it with), and then caravan to FL Saturday morning. We'll stay at the beach until Wednesday, drive back to Atlanta, then head for home Thursday.

I found amazingly cheap flights for SD from Atlanta to her mom's town...seriously cheap $100 round trip! She would fly back to Atlanta Thursday, and we'd pick her up on our way home. Gives her a week with Mom. They are going to the beach for a few days, too, then time to see old friends or whatever. It's a week, which is what the agreement is. However, Mom wants her to come for 11 days, miss school, etc. If she does that, the flight is over $400. Of course, BM is supposed to be paying for 1/2 of travel, but we've yet to see a penny.

SD is doing very well in school, so that's not an issue. However, she is having her tonsils out soon, and will likely miss a few days then. Our school is pretty rigorous and firm in the attendance policy. So, we don't want her to get into attendance issues. So, DH doesn't really want her to miss an extra day now. Also, she is on the Forensics team, which always makes it to the state finals, and they will be practicing the last weekend of Spring Break for an upcoming tourney.

I told DH he needs to just chat with BM, and explain the situation. He said he will, but their conversations never end well, and he generally just caves to avoid an argument.

The difference in airfare is substantial (over $300), and since we cannot depend on BM to hold up her end of the "deal", my other thought was to have DH tell BM that we will book her flight from Atlanta, and she will need to book the flight home. I suppose that this is one way to get her to pay her portion of the flights, huh?

Any other ideas?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz