SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tdav1

daughter visiting father for the summer

tdav1
14 years ago

My daughter (9 yrs old) is supposed to visit her father in Colorado (we live in New York) for a month this summer. He is arranging for her to attend a day camp while she is there. My daughter has told me, through her tears, that she doesn't want to go to the camp. She wants to see her father, but going to camp is scarey. She did this last summer and it was difficult for her because she doesn't know anyone. When she starts at the camp, other children have already been in the program and have already developed relationships. I attempted to talk to her father about this, but he is firm that she has to visit for a month. I suggested she visit for a week or so and he take time off of work. According to him, this is not an option. (Let me add that twice last year he took a week off to take a vacation in NY and did NOT visit with his daughter.)Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this easier for my daughter or how to convince him to change his plans? I hate seeing my daughter so upset.

Also - if anyone is dealing with a mother or father who moved away - any other advice you may have would be helpful. My daughter feels alone because other friends of hers whose parents are divorced, see both parents regularly.

Thank you!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner