SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovehadley

BM's drinking again

lovehadley
14 years ago

I guess our suspicions the other night were accurate.

Last night, we were surprised that SS didn't get a single phone call from his BM. Ordinarily, she will call 2-4 times throughout an afternoon and evening. There is ALWAYS, 100% of the time a bedtime phone call.

So last night, at 8 pm, DH handed SS the phone and said "call your mom to say goodnight." Surprisingly, she did not pick up her cell. (That is the line SS always calls her on.)

Given how she had chewed him out the other night, SS immediately freaked. He must have called her about 10 times in 30 mintues. He was SO SCARED. He was telling me and DH that his mom had been in an accident, or she'd been stabbed, or she was sick...etc. He was going through all these awful possibilities of what could have happened for her to not answer or call.

DH & I tried to reassure him that maybe she wasn't hearing the phone ring, or maybe b/c she is pregnant, she was tired and had fallen asleep.

Finally, around 9 pm when SS was STILL AWAKE and still very upset, I suggested he call his grandma, BM's mom. She lives really close to BM and I figured she could at least put SS's mind at ease. So SS called her and she said she would figure out where BM was and have her call.

About 15 mins later, the phone rang and it was BM's HUSBAND. He told SS that his mom had "gone to the store" and would "probably be gone for a long time." He said she'd forgotten her cell at home.

This seemed to calm SS and he finally went to sleep about 9:30.

But DH & I thought this seemed odd. BM NEVER EVER forgets to call her son and say goodnight. She always calls at bedtime and 99% of the time, she calls a couple other times around dinner and in the evening. It just didn't seem likely that she'd be at the "store" at 9 pm for over an hour. And if she ever did do that and forget her cell, she'd RUSH home to call SS.

Maybe you have to know the situation but the whole scene made alarm bells go off for both of us.

Sure enough, around 11 PM, DH got a rambling message from BM; she sounded like she'd had a few, but she wasn't totally wasted. She was crying in the message and saying how sorry she was she hadn't talked to SS and she loves him so much, he is her angel and her heart, blah blah. The lovey-dovey rambling stuff is par for the course when she's drinking.

It doesn't surprise me, but it makes me wonder how out of control things will get this time. And I hope that SS can be sheltered from it. :(

Comments (11)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler