SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ffoxx_gw

My Brother Could Loose His Furniture

Ffoxx
12 years ago

My brother and his wife have been renting a house from my father. When he started renting it, it was unfurnished. My brother and my sister in law added furniture over the years and my nieces have also bought things for their rooms. There is also a verbal agreement on the rent and it is payed monthly by check, they do have tenets insurance, but no lease and/or contract, if something happened to my father, would the furnishings my brother and his wife, and also his kids bought end up in probate by my stepmother since there is no lease? My brother said they have tried to keep as many receipts as possible, but sometimes they get lost, they have taken photos of what they added and have wrote a list of things down. But since there is tension between my stepmother and my father's children/grandchildren, does she have the legal right to claim the house and their contents as hers if the house is willed to her?

What I'm wondering would the furnishings in my brother's rented house be considered as property of my father since there is only a verbal agreement and not a legal contract or lease? In other words would my brother and his wife loose their furniture in this verbal agreement if something happened to my father.

My stepmother is the type of resentful woman that stated that she wouldn't let my father give old family photos of my grandparents and g-grandparents to his kids and grandchildren.

Comments (3)