Return to the Stepfamily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Query for Widowers

Posted by sterling01 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 9, 13 at 22:46

I am a 61 year old widower with two adult children, one is married and one is not. I have been engaged for a number of years(my wife passed away many years ago) but there are a few issues that have held me back from setting a date. I feel the need to be available for both of my children 24/7 and there have been times in the past putting them before my fianc�e has caused some difficulties in our relationship. I can't seem to be able to shake this need " to be there for them" even if it means possibly losing my fianc�e. I am reaching out to other widows or widowers who have had some similar issues who could possibly refer me to some reading materials that might help me. It is not my kids that are telling me they need me but me feeling that I have to be there for them no matter what.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Query for Widowers

Your right it's not your kids, it's you. Your kids are old enough and have their own lives. Are you afraid you are betraying your former wife? Betraying her somehow or are you afraid of the true committment? It is you an putting your fiance behind your kids is extremely painful for her. Your spouse should be forever an you are showing her you don't value her or that she is not that important to you. It is important for evey woman to feel values, important and #1 with their partner. I am living the same thing with a man that has told me I need to wait for his to grow up to hava a marriage. As our counselor said when in your head will they ever grow up. Once they are teenagers they need some guidance, structure and rules but when they are adults they are on your own. Instead of reading material I would suggest some coumseling. But it doesn't work if you don't do the work and get honest with yourself. That can be the hardest part. Your kids are grown and have their lives, it's time to move on an live yours. You get a second chance, don't waste it

o
RE: Query for Widowers

You are right to not marry her, she would just be hurt in a relationship where you did not put her first.

When our children are small they should always come first in our lives. As adults in a second marriage your wife should come first. I think it is you that can't break from your kids. I think you need them for some reason.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stepfamily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here