SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lamom_gw

New feelings toward adult skids

lamom
15 years ago

Hi, I've shared here before about my adult skids, SS29 with two kids, SGS8 and SGS2, and SD35. DH and I have DS6 is has cancer and I was very upset that my adult skids, particularly SS29, weren't taking an interest in him.

It was explained to me that many "first family" kids don't feel close or even really related to "second family" kids especially with large age differences.

My son was hospitalized again last week. And once again, my adult skids didn't visit the hospital and SS29 didn't even call. No surprise giving their track record and the advice I've gotten here.

The question now for me is, what real relationship, if any should I have with these people? Before this I felt related to them, that they were family. I now feel VERY detached from SS29 and his two kids. SD is still on my emotional radar because at least she expresses interest. But after spending over 10 years trying to create a blended family with them, I don't want that anymore. DS6 asked DH about having SGS8 come to visit and play. In the past I would have gotten on the phone, worked out the logistics and pulled together the playdate. Now I feel like I don't want to be bothered with that kid at all, his dad or babymama. For years I thought it was important to create this sense of family if for no one else's sake, for DH and DS. I let my feelings be hurt over and over by them. Now I feel like, we are better off without them in our lives at all since they care so little about our lives.

Has anyone else experienced this, a complete change of heart toward their skids? If so, what did you do or not do about it?

Comments (23)