SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sminnj

Child Seat Laws

sminnj
15 years ago

So SD8 asked me if she could ride in the front seat when I picked her up from school today. I said of course not and she got in the back. We went home, then back out to run some errands. Again she asked me if she could ride in the front seat. I told her no and asked her to stop asking because it is illegal in our state for children under 12 to sit in the front seat. Her response:

"But my Mom lets me ride in the front seat all the time and her friend who is a police officer told her it is ok!"

A friend of mine got into an auto accident with her short statured 11 year old in the front seat. The airbag went off and popped right in her face since she was so short. The chemicals from the airbag burned her skin and she had to have surgeries up until she was 14 to correct the scarring on her face.

I took my SD back into the house and dug up the old photos I had of my friend and I and her daughter. I explained to her why the law was in place and even let her look up and read the law for herself online.

I told my DH so he called ex to let her know that it's not ok for her to ride in the front seat. (He was actually pretty tactful and non accusing, something he's been working on when talking to her) She started screaming at him on the phone telling him she will do what she wants and how dare he tell her how to be a parent and it's not illegal and blah blah blah. DH told his DD to not ride in the front seat of her Mom's car. But we feel like she's going to do it anyway if her Mom lets her and just not tell us. She "hates sitting in the back with her annoying sister and loves the seat heaters that are up front".

Anyone else have this problem? DH is a worrier and now I know this is going to bug him.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner