SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veejay39

Update on SO's son - ADHD or Asperger's?

veejay39
15 years ago

hi there!

i posted a few months ago under a different name but now have a new user name (was horrified to google my email addy and see the whole previous thread about my son's problems there for the whole web, including the BM, to see! *gulp*).

so SO's son, 8, has been seeing a counselor since troubles at school before the holiday break. i have known for a long time even before that, there was something seriously wrong but no one in the family seemed willing to see, much less admit, it.

after tons of research, trying to talk to my SO, listening to parents with ADHD kids and other challenges.....finally, finally a diagnosis of sorts - "early onset bi-polar disorder"!! good grief, was everyone so shocked. i however, was only surprised it took this long and have a strange mix of reactions to this:

1. relief that it's not me just being mean, seeing things, being too hard on him, out of practice with young kids, etc., etc., etc.; and

2. sadness at the long, uphill battle this boy has ahead of him with a very troubled BM (whom i have long believed to be undianosed/untreated bipolar) and my SO who has been in major denial.

interestingly, my SO is now willing to admit that his son has "issues" but has only made one call to the therapist, which has gone unreturned and he has not tried again. is he afraid of what she will say? he has expressed more patience with him than i have ever seen. perhaps a professional diagnosis has finally made an impression? anyone else have this experience? or had a child with this disorder that may have some suggestions??

thanks in advance!

Comments (7)