SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
georgiapeach92

Boyfriend has a daughter? 'Awkward?'

georgiapeach92
12 years ago

My boyfriend and I have been dating for about 4 years. He is 11 years my senior, and has a daughter (7) from a previous relationship. This may sound bad, but I don't know too much about the situation. I know he and the mother share custody, but I don't know if they were previously married (though I creeped through Facebook and she has his last name???)

My boyfriend definitely wants more children with me, and I don't resent his daughter in any way, however, I am a little bit 'disappointed' I don't get to be his first, y'know? Like I guess I've always had this daydream that I'd be the first with my husband, and I'd be the one to bear his first child.

I'm ok with not being his first, but will he think of me differently for not being his first? Like, will our (his and my) children be treated separately from his daughter now? Ideally, I'd like him to treat all of our children (including his daughter now) the same.

Also, it's very difficult because his daughter is only 13 years younger than me. I would love to step into the position as another 'mom', but I don't want her (the daughter) to feel uncomfortable with me because I'm only 13 years older than her. Anyone have some advice for this kind of situation?

My boyfriend and I are currently long distance, while I finish school. I won't be thoroughly involved in his life, or his daughter's, for at least another 2 years. I'm just soo so worried I'll be portrayed as the evil step mom, or the young gold-digger using her dad as a 'sugar-daddy'. And I don't want her to 'hate'/resent her future siblings, or think she means less to me than they do.

I guess what I'm just asking for is advice. Anyone experienced with this situation? Or something similar? Will my boyfriend be uncomfortable with it? Will his daughter? What about our future children? Or am I just getting in way over my head? HELP

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County