Return to the Stepfamily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Introductions

Posted by silversword (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 17, 11 at 14:51

How do you introduce yourself in regards to your stepchildren?

I'm about to go to an event (BM sponsored) where no one will know me and I'll have to introduce myself. Options include:

Hi, I'm Silver.
Hi, I'm Silver, DH's wife.
Hi, I'm Silver, SD's SM.

Or I could go the comic route and say:

Hi, I'm Silver, BM's Ex-husband's wife.

I don't want to go. I don't want to glad-hand a bunch of BM's friends who I know will be side-glancing, under hand whispering about me. But DH isn't extremely social either, so I know I'll end up being the one to say hello and make introductions first.

How do you all handle this sort of situation?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Introductions

I've been in some very uncomfortable situations. No matter how I introduce myself or am introduced by someone, something always goes wrong. In most cases it ends up with people assuming that I am SDs' mother, then they comment how young I am to be their mother (well duh, 45 and SD is 29? and I look like late 30s hmmm). And BM might be right there listening. "oh, no, she is the mother" Awful.

We are not married so I don't introduce msyelf as SM. I say "Hi, I am PO1, SO's (insert name) GF". But like i said people don't listen anyways and assume their own things.

So I just say 'Hi, i am PO1". Let them figure it out. ha

Once in a awhile I had to be introduced by my ex and he always said "this is PO1, DD's mom". I liked it much better than "exwife".

I hate going to events with BM and we probably will never go anymore, the last couple of them were disasturous.

o
RE: Introductions

I introduce or talk about my ex husband as DD's dad too. Much nicer.

I don't want to go...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stepfamily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here