SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweeby

Would you be uncomfortable with this?

sweeby
14 years ago

First off, let me say that I absolutely adore my husband. He is a kind man with a good heart. But there are times when he seems utterly clueless. I think this is one of those times...

We both work from home, so this morning when the phone rang and I saw it was his daughter (29), I let him answer it, knowing the call was for him. A little while later, he calls me (we have two phone lines) to give me the great news --

He starts off with how the lady who comes every other week to clean our house uses too many chemicals and is rough with his beloved vacuum cleaner, leaving dings in the walls and baseboards. True. Then he reminds me that SD sometimes cleans houses for extra money and what a great job she does. Also true. (You know where this is going, right?...) Well, the "great news" is that he's decided to fire our cleaning lady and has already arranged for SD to take her place -- Great news! Thud.

Me: "Uh, Honey -- You mean this is already arranged and you didn't consult me first?"

Him: "You know what a great job she does..."

Me: "Absolutely. But I'm not comfortable having your daughter work for us as a cleaning lady."

Him: "Oh. Uh. I get the feeling you're not happy about this. Now I feel bad."

Me: "Don't feel bad -- But I need you to understand. You've never once been happy with any of the cleaning ladies we've had. How would our relationship be affected if you weren't happy with her work? Plus, I want her to be a guest and family member here -- not an employee. And I'm not really comfortable having her clean up our messes, and that's *why* we hire someone to help clean. It's not that I don't like her or trust her -- you know that I do. I'm just not comfortable with this and don't think it's a good idea."

Him: "That makes sense. I'll call her back."

So he does. And he explains how I feel about it. (She's mature and rational -- she gets it, no problem.) He ends the conversation with how happy he is that they've been able to discuss these issues, and how since they've been discussed, he knows they won't be a problem. She starts next week.

So am I being over-sensitive about this?

Or do I get the lamp?

For the new members, the lamp is used to whack errant husbands over the head with.

Comments (26)

Sponsored
WM Design Studio, LLC.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Virginia's Skilled Residential Architect | 4X Best of Houzz!