Return to the Stepfamily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dinner recipes

Posted by mom2emall (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 10, 09 at 12:47

I was thinking the other day that I need some new recipes. I have lots of favorites that I seem to cook a lot because we all love them. But I am not only getting tired of cooking the same things...but eating them is getting boring! LOL.

So I was thinking we could all share our favorite dinners on here. I really like recipes that have fewer ingreedients (so they are less expensive and time consuming to make).

My kids love my homemade beef stroganoff, homemade sloppy joes, and my crock-pot pulled pork. I could share those recipes if anyone is interested.

Share your recipes too!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
pulled pork

http://www.mccormick.com/Products/Seasoning-Mixes/Slow-Cookers/Slow-Cookers-BBQ-Pulled-Pork-Seasoning.aspx

That link will give you my pulled pork recipe.

o
RE: Dinner recipes

I would love to have the stroganoff and pulled pork recipes!! My DH has a great sloppy joe recipe, too.

I'll post some recipes also (after work today!)

o

For stroganoff I buy:
1 package of egg noodles (or the whole grain kind that is similar)

2 cans of cream of mushroom soup

1-1 1/2 pounds of ground beef or ground turkey

Brown the meat. Cook the noodles. In a seperate pot mix the 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup with milk (I just refill the two soup cans each once with milk and pour it in). Stir and heat over medium heat.

Drain the noodles and meat. Mix them together and add mushroom/milk sauce. As it stands it will thicken. Use more/less milk for thinner/thicker sauce.

Easy to make and my kids LOVE it!

o

Years ago, many many years ago I was suddenly living in a 1200 sf 2 bedroom house with my husband and 2 SS's over 21 who were getting divorced. They were both depressed, so at night all of their friends stopped by! You guess it around dinner time! One night I decided I would cook a dinner to discourage this. I got out the two biggest pots I owned boiled pasta (ziti) in one in the other ground beef with garlic powder and italian seas, chopped onion,through all together with cans of stewed tomatos, threw in any cheese that was cheap, I think it was chedder, served with garlic bread from the day old store. IT BACKFIRED THEY LOVED IT!!! I ended up going to Costco and just leaving pots of it in the fridge.

o

I do a similar beef stroganoff receipe, but I add in 1 carton of light sour cream and only use 1 can cream of mushroom soup. I use the fat free soup and non-fat milk to keep it low fat.

We love to marinate chicken breasts in Italian dressing and then grill! YUMMY. Another good chicken or steak marinade is 1 can of pineapple juice and 1/2 cup of soy sauce. This makes the meat SO tender and delicious. The longer you marinate it, the better---I sometimes will marinate the meat overnight.

I also have a recipe for something called 5 Hour Stew and it is SO GOOD.

--1-2 lbs of stew meat (and the best part is you don't have to brown it, just toss it in the pot!)

--4 peeled and quartered potatoes

--2 medium onions, peeled and sliced

--1 bag mini carrots

--1 teaspoon fresh or powdered garlic

--2 tablerspoons tapioca

--1 teaspoon sugar

--1 cup red wine

--1 teaspoon salt

--1 teaspoon pepper

-1 10 oz can of tomato sauce

--2 cups water

Just combine it all in an oven-safe pot and bake for 5 hours at 250 degrees. I love this recipe!

o

I wanted to add---fajitas are pretty easy and inexpensive to make and our kids GOBBLE them up!

I use whole wheat tortillas---you can buy these at Walmart for $1.50 for a pakc of 10.

I cut up about 4 large chicken breasts into strips.

Toss the meat into a skillet and then add 1 green pepper (cut up), 1 red pepper (cut up), 1 onion if desired...I buy one of the cheap packets of fajita seasoning, these are about .30!

Add the fajita seasoning and it usually calls for some water, as well.

Then I serve with fat free refried beans (in a can) and light sour cream.

YUM. Everyone loves this!

The whole meal is definitely under $12!

I would love to have the crockpot pulled-pork recipe!

o

Pull up the recipe forum on Garden web. Also, if you have a "good" crockpot, pull up allrecipes.com and they have excellent "5 star recipes" with tons of reviews from everyone that makes it. I really like reading the reviews, because people will say if they made any changes and whether it made the recipe better. I also like that I can make it in the morning, and the house smells great, and dinner is ready whenever we want to eat! Most of the meals are better than a lot of the restaurants, and cleanup is easy. Works especially great if you don't feel like cooking in the evening when you are tired, or coming in late and everyone is hungry.

o
lovehadley

I already put the McCormick website that has my pulled pork recipe.

http://www.mccormick.com/Products/Seasoning-Mixes/Slow-Cookers/Slow-Cookers-BBQ-Pulled-Pork-Seasoning.aspx

You use their seasoning packet that is under $2.00 and it lists the ingreedients on there. The meat it calls for is under $10 and the ketchup, cider vinegar, brown sugar, etc. most people already have around the house.

And your fajitas sound good. We make them similar too. I like to put the chicken in the crockpot for hours though with some fresh lime and a bit of chili powder on it though. Very yummy!

Also cheap and easy...my kids love cheese quesadillas. Just put a little olive oil in a pan two of the bigger flour tortilla or burrito shells and some shredded cheese in the middle. Cook it for about 2-3 min on each side. (Make one for each person.) Then top with salsa or tomatoes and sour cream. Easy and delicious. Sometimes I will buy some of that rice a roni that is spanish rice flavored and add a can of stewed tomatoes to it. They fight over that!

o

I don't eat meat, just seafood. It's pretty easy for just DD and I to cook. During big dinners with family I usually make tilapia. The big frozen bags of tilapia run around $6/7 and you really can't tell that its not "fresh" and you can make sooo many variations. I've even given out my fish "recipes" (lol, I just throw things together) to non fish lovers who have come over.

An easy one is just sauteed with olive oil, onions and tomatoes. You can always just switch ingredients, its kid friendly too. DD loves the pineapple version with butter, salt and pepper and some pineapple chunks.

You can also bake it in parchment paper (you can use aluminum foil too) with your fav veggies or fruit and a little butter and lemon. Just cut the veg/fruit, salt & pepper, fav herbs, toss it all on the parchment paper and wrap up! Bake at 350 for about 15 - 20 mins. DD LOVES this, its like a little surprise! Our fav wrapped is blueberries and lemon, trust me! It's GOOD.

Oh and any of these you can use pretty much any white fish, not just tilapia. Tilapia is not my fav, but non fish lovers seem to like it.

LOL, I'm hungry now.

o

MMMMM, those tilapia ideas sound DELICIOUS! :)

o

Thanks Lovehadley :) DD and I do a lot of fun foods.

DD likes scrambled eggs wrapped in slices of honey ham. You can add cheese, onions..whatever you like in omelets. It was yummy before I stopped eating meat, lol.

Over the summer I babysat my best friends kids while she went on vacation. They didn't really like veggies too much, so I set out a bunch and let them pick out what they wanted to put in their pouch and added butter, then grilled. They were all really excited and ate them up! I can't stress enough how much little kids like this :)

DD and I do a lot pouches even in non grilling weather, we just toss in the oven.

o
RE: more

Oh and how could I forget lettuce wraps! You can use any protein, shrimp, fish, chicken or steak. Cut in slices or chunks depending on what protein. Marinate (I use terriyaki) in your fav marinade and then grill or stir fry.

Strip the leaves off a lettuce head and leave big enough to wrap the yummies in. You can also use any other vegs. We like shredded carrots and diced cucumbers.

I lay every thing out so people can pick and choose what they want to wrap up. So yummy.

I need to go make dinner, I'm starving now.

o

I nabbed this recipe from CBC radio the other day.
DH, SS9 and I all loved it.

You can play with it however you want...
Feeling Indian? Do 1/2 curry powder and 1/2 paprika and use chickpeas. Serve with naan bread.
Feeling Mexican? Do 1/2 chili powder and 1/2 paprika and use black beans. Serve with cornbread.
And so on.

Tomato Bean Soup
From CBC Radio's "The Morning Edition"

Makes ~6 servings

- 1 T canola or olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced

- 1-24 ounce can diced tomatoes (preferably San Marsano)
- 4 c chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 T tomato paste
- 2 t paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-15 ounce can white kidney beans (mixed beans, chickpeas, etc work too) rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper to taste

- handful fresh parsley, chopped

Saut onions and garlic until translucent in large pot, medium heat.
Add remaining ingredients, except parsley.
Bring to a boil and simmer 10-15 minutes.
Adjust seasonings and add parsley just before serving.

Serve with crusty bread.

Optional: Just before serving you can add 1 c pasta (orzo, rotini, etc), cooked.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stepfamily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here